VW T6 Bike Rack - max wheelbase?

d3xt3rp

Does anyone know the max wheelbase that the genuine vw T6 bike rack will take? Trying to work out if I can get my new Enduro bike on it at 1275mm and 29" wheels. The Thule Wanderway is too short. Fiamma Pro might just fit but the V2 genuine VW one looks to have longer rack lengths though from pics I've seen. Have googled but can't find the wheelbase details anywhere for it though. TIA.

The total width of each wheel platform is 1310mm including plastic end caps. The aluminium section measures 1250mm. The plastic end caps are quite sturdy and could support the wheel I would think.

The platforms for the 4th bike only can be adjusted outwards if necessary giving an overall max platform width of 1430mm.

07ABE5C0-77DD-4714-8516-21BD4406FB9A.jpeg

Last edited:
The total width of each wheel platform is 1310mm including plastic end caps. The aluminium section measures 1250mm. The plastic end caps are quite sturdy and could support the wheel I would think.

The platforms for the 4th bike only can be adjusted outwards if necessary giving an overall max platform width of 1430mm.

View attachment 84296
That's great thanks. Sounds like I can use the 4th bike attachment if I need to. Shame the Fiamma rack isn't longer as only transporting 1 bike most the time.

That's great thanks. Sounds like I can use the 4th bike attachment if I need to. Shame the Fiamma rack isn't longer as only transporting 1 bike most the time.
Be aware that the 4th bike relies on there being a 3rd bike already on the rack, the 4th bike uses a small frame to frame clamp. You could use the 4th bike wheel support and then just lean the bike forward to use the long arm 3rd bike frame support.

I have the T5 style bike rack and the first bike holder is 1600 long C821B1CB-6D4E-4C67-92FF-1C226614DFF7.jpeg
Additionally, to get all four bikes on i position the second bike all way over to the left and third bike all the way over to the right.06093E79-E7CB-4FEB-BC53-682280E4A991.jpegtravelled like this round the country this summer and they are solid when over the edge (not past the wheel centre obviously)

Well the XL Tues fits on mine, and according to geometry geeks the wheelbase on that is 1258, so I’d have thought another 17mm would be ok. That’s a monster wheelbase for an enduro bike; what is it?
AC687AC0-3AD9-44E0-8611-0CFB20758B5E.jpeg

Looks like a VW T6 rack. It's made by Thule.

Thule also now have their own 2 bike version which is very similar: Thule WanderWay

That's good to know. I have a Propain Spindrift with a 1247 WB, but I was favouring the tow ball Altera rack for 3 bikes.
Doesn't the tailgate rack rub the paint a little at the mounting points?

Ah cool... did you buy it in black? Or get it powder coated afterwards?

I have a Mondraker Foxy 29er, so I'm also paranoid about a rack that will take a long wheelbase mtb.
I bought it powder coated, and so far seems to be holding up well but I haven’t used it a huge amount as biked have mostly been in the back.

I’d guess a foxy is similar to the Tues, so should fit. Wheels do go over the end a bit but straps down ok. Although having said that, the straps on this rack aren’t the best; they could do with a ratchet mechanism like on the Thule Towbar mounted racks

That's good to know. I have a Propain Spindrift with a 1247 WB, but I was favouring the tow ball Altera rack for 3 bikes.

I currently have the Atera Strada DL and it's way too short for modern enduro bikes. Selling it if anyone's interested!!? :sneaky:

Rubs a little but no biggie. I’d recommend the Thule over the Atera, having had both. Just a bit more sturdy and easier to mount bikes on

edit: and it’s much longer than the atera

Just having a look at the Thule WanderWay 3 and it looks just the ticket.
Then it goes and says TAILGATE SHOULD NOT BE LIFTED WITH BICYCLES LOADED TO THE REAR
Well whats the point of that then....:rolleyes:

You can lift it but it's obviously heavy and even the uprated struts won't hold it. If you drop it the lower mounting points will bend the tailgate panel.

It's sensible, therefore, to not lift it with bikes mounted.

That is why we moved to a tow ball mounted carrier.

You can lift it but it's obviously heavy and even the uprated struts won't hold it. If you drop it the lower mounting points will bend the tailgate panel.

It's sensible, therefore, to not lift it with bikes mounted.

That is why we moved to a tow ball mounted carrier.

That does not sound very good. So is there a great variation with ease of performance between the various tail gate racks? I have never used a rack and I am considering one for a multitude of uses. Such as a bike or a spare-wheel or a 5Gal jerry can or similar. It is possible that I may only use one or two of those things at a time but that could change. Perhaps on a long range trip a Jerry - Can and a Spare - Wheel I have an automated lift tail gate. I understand that I would need up rated struts. I do not like the idea of having to unload every time the tailgate needs lifting. Most of the racks that I have seen look very similar. They appear cumbersome and bulky and seem to sit a long way from the rear glass. I do not know why that is. As long as they allow the rear wiper to operate However they seem to be quite easy to fit and remove. How secure are the racks? How much higher do bikes stand over the roof?

You've hit on all the reasons why I decided to go for a detachable towbar and rack even if it did work out at twice the price or more! Also, am I right in thinking that your screen name is after the album? If so, very well done indeed - your obviously a person with taste.

Back