VW suggest a new gearbox

Unimog

VIP Member
T6 Pro
My 150 van was booked in for a problematic door lock. When I arrived they asked if there was anything else wrong with the van. I mentioned second gear can be a little crunchy at times and thought nothing more about it.

I came to collect the van, and was told it needs a new gearbox! Fortunately it’s still in warranty.

The van has covered 25,000 miles, should I have the clutch changed while the box is out?

What’s the average millage you should expect from a clutch in a transporter?

My 150 van was booked in for a problematic door lock. When I arrived they asked if there was anything else wrong with the van. I mentioned second gear can be a little crunchy at times and thought nothing more about it.

I came to collect the van, and was told it needs a new gearbox! Fortunately it’s still in warranty.

The van has covered 25,000 miles, should I have the clutch changed while the box is out?

What’s the average millage you should expect from a clutch in a transporter?
For my point of view, everytime you change something on the gearbox that need to remove it, replace your clutch. It will be 25k miles less on the new one. The most expensive is not the clutch. My 2 cents.

hold on . . . . 25K and it needs a new gearbox?

because its crunchy in 2nd some times?

and VW have authorised a new gearbox . . . . WOW !! thats amaioxing.

whats the history of the van?

have u had it from new?

has it always been like that?

is it a builders van?, camper? heavy load in back?

did they not want to take the box out to inspect?

they just going for a direct replacement?

and regards to clutch, they could last 100k or more depending on driving style/load . . . .

so at 25k you could be 25% worn. . . .

the common trend it to replace it as its the cheapest part to replace once the box is out. - compared to having to do it all over again in 50k time.

hold on . . . . 25K and it needs a new gearbox?

because its crunchy in 2nd some times?

and VW have authorised a new gearbox . . . . WOW !! thats amaioxing.

whats the history of the van?

have u had it from new?

has it always been like that?

is it a builders van?, camper? heavy load in back?

did they not want to take the box out to inspect?

they just going for a direct replacement?

and regards to clutch, they could last 100k or more depending on driving style/load . . . .

so at 25k you could be 25% worn. . . .

the common trend it to replace it as its the cheapest part to replace once the box is out. - compared to having to do it all over again in 50k time.
The van was 2years old when I bought it from a VW main agent and had covered 21,000 it’s a 150 4motion. My 3 year warranty runs out in November 2020.
The previous owner was a garden contractor and it spent a lot of its time towing a trailer with the guys ride on mowers.

I converted the van to a camper earlier this year and have covered around 3,000 since I purchased the van.

A57EAAD3-0AFF-4D36-A942-1ABFE8478608.jpeg

77E4CE9F-15B5-49D1-89AB-3E2FB96718AD.jpeg

Can't believe how those black wheels and arch trims make it look like a different van, it looks great!
Back to the point, it's been towing for a good portion of its life, so I'd want the clutch replaced for the same reasons of others have said, however I doubt that would have caused the gearbox issue.
I'm glad this was identified during your warranty period!

Update... well I picked the van up this morning. New gearbox fitted including the Transfer box for the 4motion.
as the box was coming out I asked for the clutch to be replaced, and I would pay for the parts only. Unfortunately they decided the clutch is fine and chose to leave it in without calling me

The dealer told me the value of the warranty claim was £4700

Update... well I picked the van up this morning. New gearbox fitted including the Transfer box for the 4motion.
as the box was coming out I asked for the clutch to be replaced, and I would pay for the parts only. Unfortunately they decided the clutch is fine and chose to leave it in without calling me

The dealer told me the value of the warranty claim was £4700
They decided without calling you after you offered to pay for the parts.....mind boggling!

Replacing the box with a brand new one is good news. I had a gearbox problem with a T5, and they insisted on stripping it, rather than replace.

It came back, whining like an air raid siren, so they stripped it again and had another go. Eventually they replaced the box, but it was a reconditioned one . Although it did what a box should do, it always seemed like it had done a lot more miles in an earlier life than my van had.

Back