Vw Infotainment System.

Bemmy GY

Evening all, fairly new to the scene & would appreciate some advice, we have recently purchased a 2016 startline with electric pack, DAB radio, bluetooth & air con. We love it to bits & appreciate what we have & what we have worked hard for. We've been away in it as much as a shift worker & non shift worker can, really do miss the sat nav though, I've seen after market ones that look good with good reviews, but I'd like a VW one, I've read mixed reviews about them, any thoughts good or bad much appreciated, also if I do decide to get one, any advice where to go in the Lincolnshire/Yorkshire area to buy/fit.
Thanks in advance.

It’s great to have a fitted sat nav and the directions are usually clearly displayed, but some routes are really strange. Others are best placed to advise alternatives, but we use google on a phone as well as the inbuilt VW system

It’s great to have a fitted sat nav and the directions are usually clearly displayed, but some routes are really strange. Others are best placed to advise alternatives, but we use google on a phone as well as the inbuilt VW system

Agreed.

We do exactly the same.

The factory satnav is a simple upgrade to retro fit.

You can add the GPS antenna on the dash or behind the glove box or behind the rear view mirror.

Coding will he required.

We have the discovery media unit and love it........ but still use Google maps Sat nav for the very latest trafic details lol....

Last edited:
having had 2 top-end VW (skoda) systems stolen I avoid high end head units like the plague. Good tomtom with lifetime traffic and map updates is my preference

Would it be easier to upgrade the head unit for AppConnect? Then you can use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay to display your favourite smartphone mapping app on your head unit display.

Although I have the VW sat nav build in, I much prefer Google Maps for directions and the real time traffic data. :thumbsup:

Waze and Google Maps coming to CarPlay very soon :cool:

Don't think you can update the standard headunit for CarPlay, better to rip it out and get Absolut5 or Skipton to fit a Kenwood/Alpine unit :)

Which one would you recommend?

The Kenwood DNX 9190dab is our preferred choice over anything else, faster Os, the best screen as it’s hd and tilts, feature packed and you can link their optional dash camera

Back