T6.1 replacing the infotainment system

elias

I've bought a T6.1, and I'm happy with pretty much everything about the car, but I find the infotainment system to be quite terrible.

I can't stand the touch-buttons, and would much prefer a solution with actual buttons.
And I would love a CD-player (yes, you read that right). Apps/Nav/Whatever can I do without.
The biggest issue for me would be the park-assist and rear camera, since I don't have any rear windows.

Would it be possible to fit an used infotainmentsystem from an older transporter, that still had proper buttons? The only after-market solutions I've
seen are also touch-screens, but I want the tactile feel of a real button, so that I don't have to look in order to find which buttons to press.
It seems that the system does a bit of magic that might not be covered by older models, but it's not like vw has a thorough description for
those that want a replacement...

Regards,
Elias

I remember now I had an old car that had a double-din fitting, but one of the slots just had a basket fitted instead.
Is the fitting a standard double-din? The infotainment does not seem to be quite square?

The problem with modern vehicles is that the unit is more than use a 'radio'. It controls quite a lot of the car settings too, so cutting it out of the loop will cause you to loose more than you'll gain. There are very good aftermarket units that can retain all of the factory functions, but nothing that I can think of that has buttons and plays CDs. I don't even know if there is enough depth behind the dash for a CD player. New mechless units aren't as deep as they don't have to be able to swallow a CD or cassette.

Perhaps one of the lads I tagged will be along to chip in once they've opened up.

Browsing around it seems that a couple of people have successfully fitted RCD330-units to their T6 - but I can't find any mention of T6.1.
If it fits and works, it might be what I'm looking for.

With the integration of the SOS system, it's made replacing the factory infotainment system much more tricky.

There are kits out there now that can side step the SOS issue but the hole left when the system is removed isn't Double DIN so a fascia kit is also needed.

The short answer to fitting an older infotainment system is no. However, most modern double DIN and floating screen units can display parking sensor, reverse camera and climate information from factory systems.

Browsing around it seems that a couple of people have successfully fitted RCD330-units to their T6 - but I can't find any mention of T6.1.
If it fits and works, it might be what I'm looking for.
The T6 and T6.1 are very different in terms of electronics. The RCD330 works in the T6 and older as a direct replacement, but not in anything newer. Besides, it doesn't have a CD player, or DAB.

I've bought a T6.1, and I'm happy with pretty much everything about the car, but I find the infotainment system to be quite terrible.

I can't stand the touch-buttons, and would much prefer a solution with actual buttons.
And I would love a CD-player (yes, you read that right). Apps/Nav/Whatever can I do without.
The biggest issue for me would be the park-assist and rear camera, since I don't have any rear windows.

Would it be possible to fit an used infotainmentsystem from an older transporter, that still had proper buttons? The only after-market solutions I've
seen are also touch-screens, but I want the tactile feel of a real button, so that I don't have to look in order to find which buttons to press.
It seems that the system does a bit of magic that might not be covered by older models, but it's not like vw has a thorough description for
those that want a replacement...

Regards,
Elias
Not a real option to install a unit out of a T5/6 as there is lots to retain , ie sos, vehicle settings , the park pilot/reverse cam is easy though

Cd is rare now, probably the closest you will get to retain cd, the above features and a few buttons is the Kenwood DNX range , or Pioneer AVH or AVIC range

If you like more info drop us a call or pm

Not sure if it would work (or not) but what about a portable usb cd/dvd drive ?
Seems a bit retro considering there is more computer power in a single infotainment system than existed in the whole world in probably the first half of 1970's.

Back