Victron Dc-dc Charger

looks very nice . . . . no mention of LowTemp Lifepo4 charging . . . . but that may be an easy firmware addition.

57.jpg 58.jpg 59.jpg 60.jpg 61.jpg

No solar input???

I guess they don’t want to canibalise sales of their standalone solar controllers.

Also, no D+ input?? Having some threshold-based logic on voltage to guess when the engine running is all very well but with a smart alternator, I can’t believe you wouldn’t just use a D+ signal where one is available.

EDIT - Dellmassive has pointed out below that the engine detection logic can be overridden with an explicit D+/ignition feed.

Last edited:
No solar input???

I guess they don’t want to canibalise sales of their standalone solar controllers.
A nice addition to an existing Victron MPPT user though . . . . =]

I love the Redarc DC-DC and looking forwards to the 50A version...

Although they are 30A . . . you can have to 4x in parallel (120A), and will most likely link together via the VE-Direct Bluetooth Network (manual doesn't specify) . . .

The obvious benefit of these over the Redarc DC-DC is the ability to tweek the settings and voltage levels . . . that you cant do with a Redarc . . . and also Bluetooth monitoring . . . .and also VE-Direct network integration.

HMMMM . . . . . .decisions decisions.

all depends on the price.

Yes sorry... I wasy generalizing D+, but referring to an Ignition feed. Or the BCM engine run feed.

Yeah, I use D+ to mean the engine run feed provided with the factory fit leisure battery relay setup. It’s definitely the best signal to use in a DC-DC but maybe calling it D+ is an abuse of terminology....!

Come to pappa!!

Just in time to go into my Splitty build. See how it performs on my high power 45ah alternator :)

Ok good price. Is it better overall than a redarc, I assume it's not aswell sealed for engine bay mounting?

Have you had chance to play with these yet. Just reading the manual & would I be right in thinking it has a charge algorithm to sense smart charge alternators without a switched signal? Can't see that working myself though?

5. Smart alternator compatibility
The engine is running detection is based on the voltage of the starter battery. The charger is not always able to measure the exact starter battery voltage because of voltage drop over the input cable. The voltage drop is determined by variables like current, cable length and cable gauge. The “engine on detection sequence” will perform periodic tests to determine the exact starter battery voltage during charging. The test result determines if the engine is running and charging can be enabled.
This feature is only active in charger mode and when “engine detection override” is not activated. In converter mode the “input voltage lock-out” determines when the output is active.
Configurable with VictronConnect

Figure 7: Engine on detection sequence

0  1: When the engine runs the alternator voltage will ramp-up, when Vstarter increases above Venable, charging starts.
1  2: Due to the charge current a voltage drop will occur across the input cable (Vcable), this voltage reduces the voltage at the input of the charger (VIN). While VIN remains above Vtest, charging is enabled.
2  3: If VIN drops below Vtest, the “engine on detection sequence” is started. Every 2 minutes the charger is paused for 10 seconds to measure the voltage. Without current flow VIN is equal to Vstarter, if VIN is above Vtest, charging will resume. While remaining in this state, the test is performed every 2 minutes.
3  4: During the detection sequence VIN dropped below Vtest, this means that the engine stopped running and charging must be stopped, the charge sequence is paused.
4  5: VIN increases above Venable, the charge sequences continues.

Attachments

• Manual.pdf
    284.4 KB · Views: 12
would I be right in thinking it has a charge algorithm to sense smart charge alternators without a switched signal? Can't see that working myself though?

Makes sense what they are doing.

The Sterling B2B chargers have engine running detection and account for smart alternator charging profiles which works fine.

Back