Vibration under acceleration (new tyres fitted)

toomanykids

Hi guys, I had new tyres fitted by a mobile tyre guy on Thursday. He had a hard time getting the wheels off (front only) due to them being rusted on and spent a while smashing away with a rubber mallet. This weekend I drove the T6 for the first time and at 70mph, whilst on the power, it vibrated like crazy. If I came off the power it coasted without vibration.

Does this sound like a tyre balance issue or, given the issue is just when accelerating (albeit it needs to be around 70mph to happen), has the bloke smashed something else - the CV joint as an example? The car is a 66 4Motion Caravelle.

As a very first thing I would pop the wheels off and give a good clean to rim and disk with a wire brush where they meet. Then make sure all bolts sit nice and tight, ideally 180Nm torque as per spec. Granted, loose or misaligned wheel probably should vibrate also when power is off but I guess torque could make vibrations more obvious.

Also check all the wheels for any bulges or other damage - although rare, I think, it's always possible to get a damaged one as new.

Hi guys, I had new tyres fitted by a mobile tyre guy on Thursday. He had a hard time getting the wheels off (front only) due to them being rusted on and spent a while smashing away with a rubber mallet. This weekend I drove the T6 for the first time and at 70mph, whilst on the power, it vibrated like crazy. If I came off the power it coasted without vibration.

Does this sound like a tyre balance issue or, given the issue is just when accelerating (albeit it needs to be around 70mph to happen), has the bloke smashed something else - the CV joint as an example? The car is a 66 4Motion Caravelle.
Daft question considering he fits tyres for a living but did he balance them?

If it were wheel balance, I would expect it to shake at that speed with or without power.
power related shake would be things like drive shaft?

Back