Vent needed for Waeco crx50 fridge?

Jess

Hi all just at the next stage of conversion , do you add a vent to the compartment , ie drop vent though the floor or a couple of holes in the end panel that faces the back of the drivers seat , I will be fitting a sink above the fridge , so this is to give extra air flo or is it not needed ???? I will be fitting a drop vent in the next compartment , for the gas

The 2500 Watt inverter sits on that side for me....

I have vents in the front of the inverter enclosure and in the floor as drop out vents in each compartment....

IMG_6085.jpg

There is also an air flow gap behind the fridge / worktop upstand...

9CEEBAC7-6A92-47FC-8026-F753A24358E8.jpeg
I had mine done at a converters but you can just about see here how it vents through a hole in the panelling at the back to the grill in the above photo.
I hope this helps, good luck!

View attachment 66714
I had mine done at a converters but you can just about see here how it vents through a hole in the panelling at the back to the grill in the above photo.
I hope this helps, good luck!
Yo ought to be careful there mate, if the panel is cut out behind the fridge and not insulated etc, that area will become very hot form the sun and your fridge will be working overtime

Hi all just at the next stage of conversion , do you add a vent to the compartment , ie drop vent though the floor or a couple of holes in the end panel that faces the back of the drivers seat , I will be fitting a sink above the fridge , so this is to give extra air flo or is it not needed ???? I will be fitting a drop vent in the next compartment , for the gas
There are instructions on ventilation in the instructions. You are trying to dissipate heat. Essentially air is drawn in from the front, bottom (and sides preferably) an then vented at the rear. You will see a compressor and a fan atop the fins. We place a vent on the side of the panel adjacent to the fan so any air is drawn through and vented immediately.

See image of our vent. We change design based on the vehicle.
Rgds
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

20180731_163244.jpg

20150530_163632 (2).jpg

20190325_130319_HDR_resized.jpg

20200221_170728_resized.jpg

Yo ought to be careful there mate, if the panel is cut out behind the fridge and not insulated etc, that area will become very hot form the sun and your fridge will be working overtime
It’s a picture from the converters site (not my van) from 2015 but I guess they are doing the same still and I don’t think they have any issues with this. It’s well ventilated by the grill so I guess it will only get as warm as the van is anyway. Insulated would be preferable for many reasons but it doesn’t appear that it is.

It’s a picture from the converters site (not my van) from 2015 but I guess they are doing the same still and I don’t think they have any issues with this. It’s well ventilated by the grill so I guess it will only get as warm as the van is anyway. Insulated would be preferable for many reasons but it doesn’t appear that it is.
Hi, yep it may not appear to have an issue but likely the fridge won’t run as long as probably could due to increased heat. You will be surprised how much heat builds up behind there. Even in fully insulated cupboards, they will get warm. It’s just about efficiency and helping the fridge keep cool. As long as its working for you that’s fine. All the best.

Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice but Tbh, we haven’t used it in anger yet, only been away for one night and then it was pretty cold!

I’ll keep an eye on it over the summer (assuming we actually get out!) and maybe look to add something for next season.

What would you recommend to insulate behind there? The current setup relies on it venting through the back then round and out the vent at the side, I don’t think (but don’t know) there are any vents in the floor.

Many possible insulation, sheep’s wool, adhesive foam, dodo mat, fleece etc. Problem is that your fridge is probably recessed into the void so you may struggle to insulate and allow airflow. I would insulate behind and then cut holes in the furniture side panel between the fridge and the vent box on the side. You may not notice a problem I suspect until its really hot or your LB is getting old. If you are on hook-up however and you have a suitable charger then it should run continually. It’s only when you are wild camping and the fridge cuts out around 10.5v you will notice. Just see how it goes for now.
Cheers Ian

As I am in total isolation , & can get out for timber etc. The units are old kitchen units end panels 30 years old , I had in the loft for shelves & the top all joined with biscuits to make up the sizes , recycling but it allows me to progress onward & upward as they say ,

Upcycling at its best there then, looks really good, even more impressive if you’ve done it by wombling :thumbsup: :rofl:

Last edited:
Hi,
We purchased a CRX50 Fridge with a Coolpower EPS817 mains charger, question is where do I wire it into as the instruction are not clear?
Scott

Hi,
We purchased a CRX50 Fridge with a Coolpower EPS817 mains charger, question is where do I wire it into as the instruction are not clear?
Scott

If I have the correct manual for the EPS817, it looks like it is designed to work with equipment that has been supplied with 12V lighter socket type plugs. You would have to put such a plug on the 12V feed tot he fridge and check the EPS 817 can produce enough current (normally fused at 15A) to run the fridge.

1595175416250.png

Possible causes of overheating - Waeco CRX 50 fan fault

This thread in the T4 forum is worth reading if you have a CRX50 Waeco CRX 50 fan fault?

Also found the installation document for the CRX50 for trucks which has amended drawings showing additional ventilation requirements for cooling the fridge. Unsure why this would differ to vans/campers?:
https://www.dometic.com/assets/53/09/54-500-mad65e%20rev_75309.pdf?att=true

View attachment 75915View attachment 75914View attachment 75913
Apologies for the late update but thought this might be of use. On investigating my overheating issue, I found the small 12V computer fan on the back of the fridge had indeed gone faulty which I assume was as a result of using the Waeco 240V adapter. I have replaced the fan which helped so I followed the advice form the T4 forum and opened up a cooling hole in the side of the enclosure (picture below). To help with pulling the hot air out from behind the fridge, I also turned the new fan around to draw air through the cooling fins and out through the new grill that I had installed. Hope this helps anyone still having issues with their Weaco CRX50.

Items used:

1) An ARCTIC P12 - 120 mm Case Fan to replace the faulty unit - ARCTIC P12 - 120 mm Case Fan, Pressure-optimised, quiet motor, Computer, Fan Speed: 1800 RPM - Black, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories.
2) A 120mm Fan Duct Cooling Shroud to 4 Inch Vent Hose to help direct the fan output at the new 4 inch grill. If you have a large gap between these two items you could then use 4 inch flexible ducting to route the hot air through. - Tinker3D Antminer S7 S9 S9I E3 T9 L3+ D3 A3 V9 X3 120Mm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
3) A black Extractor Fan Louvered Grille 4" / 100mm - Black Extractor Fan Ducting Wall Louvered Fixed Grille Ventilation 4" / 100mm | eBay

IMG_1900.JPGIMG_2798.JPGIMG_2800.JPG

Last edited:
Back