Vcds Connection Problems

markob

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Having some really strange connection problems with VCDS

Essentially everything works fine until I try to work on module 09 (Cent. Elec.)

As soon as I go into Adaptation and then try to select something in the drop down list to modify it disconnects with the following messages :

Communications Error

Unable to communicate with address 09. Are you sure the doors are unlocked?

Has anyone seen this before?

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 16.01.29.png Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 15.49.32.png

I had something similar with my brothers 2019 a6. Had to have the bonnet open.

Maybe there is issue with one of your doors (also tailgate or bonnet) locks.
You can test them easily by switching your ignition on and opening each door individually one by one.
And on every single one being open your ceiling light should be coming on and/or your instrument cluster should be indicating accordingly.

Ok, tried both of those.

Bonnet open, same problem

All doors, bonnet and boot register with the interior light and display

weird thing is the disconnect only happens when I try to do something

The disconnect happens with an audible click from the OBD port too

For module 09 - does the same happen if you do the same ignition off? Just van unlocked. Thinking if voltage drops too low as there is quite a current draw when ignition on.

I tried with the engine running and it was the same, van starts easily so I presume the battery is ok

I managed to activate the 'needle sweep' by just clicking very quickly through the menus before the communication error

I tried to do the same method with auto lock and auto unlock and although it said changes were accepted, a quick drive up the road shows that they did not (no auto lock once driving)

I'll try with the ignition off...

What year is your van?
Latest software installed?
When you connect vcds have you done a test connection to make sure it is seeing a full connection.
I did scan a car for a friend that had a dodgy obd port. Would connect but not showing full connection on test.

Thanks @Stevefrs

2017 (66 plate)

I updated VCDS to see if it would fix this issue - no different

I ran the test connection but not sure if I verified a full connection - how do I check that?

What year is your van?
Latest software installed?
When you connect vcds have you done a test connection to make sure it is seeing a full connection.
I did scan a car for a friend that had a dodgy obd port. Would connect but not showing full connection on test.

Witha 66 plate van then you dont need the new lead(had to change mine this year).
When you first load vcds go to options and test the lead. If connected to obd port fully you should get positives for all of the K values.
For security access go to the module and click on security. Hover over the entry box and if there is a known code a bubble should show it. Sometimes there are 2 codes 1 for adaptations and another for coding.
I know on some modules you need the security code depending on what you are trying to do.

what version hardware cable are you using . . ?

MY19 onward is recommended to use V2 hardwired or hexnet . . .

is this an old cable? CAN or CAN HEX?

go a pic?

Ok, seems this was down to a laptop problem. I grabbed a different machine (with Windows 10 not 7) and its working fine

Still cant activate auto lock / unlock though - perhaps because I have a shuttle?

KKE Auto Lock.png

Don’t forget to update your account and show other members nearby that you have VCDS :thumbsup:

Back