Vanstyles bonnet protector interfering with bonnet release.

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I posted elsewhere on here that I fitted a black van styles bonnet protector a while ago which I'm pleased with:
What Have You Done To Your Van Today? (post #8995 WHYDTYVT)
BUT I have just noticed that it seems to interfere with the catch on the bonnet release - I'm talking here about the safety catch that needs to be released by pushing up the small tab under the bonnet (after releasing it from inside the car). As it is at the moment, once the bonnet is released by pulling the long lever in the van, the bonnet can be opened completely without the need to use the safety catch. I'm thinking that it's the centre fixing tab for the bonnet protector that's causing the issue and might have to just take it out. I know a few others have the same piece of kit so am asking if anybody else has run into this problem. Thanks.001.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this but I know that some others have got the same bonnet protector and I'd really like to know if anybody else has run into this problem (or even not!). Also, does anybody know if the lack of 'safety latch' on the bonnet release would be a MOT failure. Cheers again (hopefully).

I had one fitted for a recent 6 week European camping trip. My EHU connection is under the bonnet so I had to open the bonnet often. The protector did not have any affect on the normal operation.

Problem solved - I popped the bonnet to get a good look and closed it slowly to see what was going on with the benefit of a torch. It appears that the bracket which holds the catch mechanism in place was slightly bent out of square end it wasn't latching on - the metal is fairly soft so I just eased to back in place and all is now OK. I've no idea how it happened but guess it might have been in the bodyshop when it was there earlier in the year. I say that as I only ever get under there to check fluids if we're off on a long trip or to plug the EHU in and once to fit the bonnet protector and I don't remember doing it then! Mind you, I would never underestimate my level of stupid when it comes to mechanical stuff - that's why REME were invented back in the day! My thanks to @Higgidav for giving me the assurance that it wasn't the body protector.

Back