Vango Galli 3 - Water pooling on tunnel

We bought the same awning last Autumn, haven't tried it in the rain yet. Am I right in thinking the issue is the section between the tunnel and the van. I think from previous experience the problem is worse if you are on a dead level pitch. If on a gradient and you level the van, the awning and tunnel would be rising or lowering from the van, thereby giving a slight gradient to the canvass. Will look out for those clips and extra guys, otherwise sew a tag in the middle and then use guys.

@cgtmiles I got them when I bought the mat at busfest.
However I’m pretty sure these are the same…
That’s them! I couldn’t find them on Amazon and these are good because the guy pulls the clip grip tighter

Same thing happened to me, I thought it was because I hadn't attached it or aligned it properly (probably was ).

Luckily I had some clips and bungie cords, so managed to create a run off for the water.

IMG_20220501_111019~2.jpg

I tried tarpaulin clips and guy ropes and It worked a treat in the rain of Bala lake but I forgot to take a photo.

It’s 4am and I’m in a Galli (poled / low) in a torrential downpour at the moment, just been to the toilets and there was no pooling what so ever on mine this time, without any additional clips, so wondering if Merryman is right here, and depends on the set up of the pitch.

I’m using a ramp on the van this time to level it, and sat on a fairly un even pitch. So the awning is running down into the van, think the tunnel is tought enough that with it combined to the slope on the pitch, is stopping the pooling issues I’ve had previously.

I’ve ordered some of the clips anyway to keep in the bag for next time but will see how it goes.

Other than that, and the Velcro tabs coming away on the zips - it’s a great awning we’ve found and no issues, regrets or complaints from our last few trips away in it

If I have 1 gripe with these awning, it's is that the sewn-in ground sheet has a 6" wall at the doors. I keep tripping up. So have bought a collapsible step, to either remind me, or to use. Just the one at the front, which gets used the most. It's an old man thing as I trip over rugs and carpets as well:rolleyes:

Yeh we’ve been doing the same, I’ve only just discovered this weekend that the attachment door side, has two toggles that you can undo and drop it down so you have a level access through with no step….

If I have 1 gripe with these awning, it's is that the sewn-in ground sheet has a 6" wall at the doors. I keep tripping up. So have bought a collapsible step, to either remind me, or to use. Just the one at the front, which gets used the most. It's an old man thing as I trip over rugs and carpets as well:rolleyes:
I have that 1 gripe too, the door to the front with a built in trip hazard,

plus the configuration on the zips never seems to be right for whatever I want to do (zipping up the outside door from the inside, the fact that the bottom zip on the tunnel mesh door zips the wrong way)

Plus there is no door on the side opposite the tunnel

Plus the shear weight and size of it (I have the Rhone version, a galli 3 polycotton basically)

Apart from that it’s a great bit of kit!

Oh yeah, and the pooling of the water on the tunnel
(but I think this is common for all VW awnings)

When we had the storms while away last summer I had to do that twice during the night. After the second time I decided it would be a good idea to take the tunnel down so I didn’t have to worry anymore. I was absolutely soaked by the time I got back in the van!
:laugh:I had to do exactly the same thing at the weekend during a storm in the Brecon Beacons, also soaked going back to bed. all good fun

Well guys, I can finally say i no longer get any pooling thanks to some clingons and bungees.

A fellow camper with the same awning had a nightmare over the last few days with the relentless rain. No issue for us this time!

20220723_102357.jpg

Last edited:
Just set ours up, first time on un even ground so the cling ons and additional guy ropes are out, the tunnel sections all over the place but hopefully they help. Thanks for the suggestion on this thread, hopefully avoids any pooling / flapping issues

Well guys, I can finally say i no longer get any pooling thanks to some clingons and bungees.

A fellow camper with the same awning had a nightmare over the last few days with the relentless rain. No issue for us this time!

View attachment 166559
Looks very similar to how I did it, I just used a spare guy rope. Had our first mishap at the Summer camp, we have always suffered with the back being difficult to peg out squarely, the seller we bought it from suggested it might be the beam in wrong so unzipped from the awning an repositioned (it didn’t help). Next morning found the beam flat, quick return to my youth and find the bubbles in a bowl of water later found the a blown seam, not sure if moving disturbed or pressure was too high (know it was in the green), think will go slightly less in future!!

Another hack for these awnings I thoughts I’d share (sorry if this is old news!), if the front and rear straps are flipping in the wind put a twist in them and it stops it.
0B132851-FB53-4042-9641-CFF2A74E94EF.jpeg
Found this out when my son was messing around and being annoying disconnecting them instead of walking around so obviously I didn’t tell him if the improvement :)

Another hack for these awnings I thoughts I’d share (sorry if this is old news!), if the front and rear straps are flipping in the wind put a twist in them and it stops it.
View attachment 169539
Found this out when my son was messing around and being annoying disconnecting them instead of walking around so obviously I didn’t tell him if the improvement :)
Great shout, happened to me last week and I couldn't work out why one strap was flapping by the other one wasn't.

Reactions: CAB
Back