Vango Galli 3 - Water pooling on tunnel

T6traveller

T6 Pro
Evening all, as you would have gathered, we have a Vango Galli 3 awning. Every time it rains, water pools either end of the tunnel. I've spoken to the company we bought it off and they are in turn speaking to Vango.

Having searched the Internet, it seems this is a common issue. I was wondering if anyone else has experience this problem and if so, have you found a "fix"?

I have a number of ideas, but I wanted to check with the ingenious folks on this forum first.

I can't pull the tunnel tighter title the van without the risk of tearing it.

Regards,

J.

20220521_213408.jpg

20220506_152312.jpg

20220506_152330.jpg

This is a common problem as it’s not always easy to get a good tight connection in the tunnel.
We had a Vango Cove and it wasn’t a good fit so I used some old tent poles to support the centre of the tunnel roof when it rained.
Now have a Cayman Combo from Outdoor revolution and, for the first time in 30 years of campering it fits amazingly with almost no tunnel sag.

D7C6017C-5D34-4172-8EE9-1F77F6464302.jpeg

We used our for the first time recently and found the same, I had wondered about some tarpaulin clips with guy ropes attached to stretch or give some run off, not tried it yet tho.

I think any solution that works is fine. I’m sure mine will still pool somewhat-I’ll let you know as it’s bound to rain sometime in the next fortnight before we have to strike camp.
I’m pretty sure it’s a perpetual problem that we all have to live with camping in the UK!

I have similar and partly blamed it on the van being low. I have used something to above the door on the beam between it and the material for the tunnel which makes it a bit tighter and gives a high point. I have also used a couple of clothes peg type things to double the fabric above the doors on the tunnel which also made it a bit better.

Why don't you cut a hole in the top of the tunnel section and leave a bucket underneath ;) :D Seriously it could do with some sort of air beam that pushes the tunnel section up. Just another reason I've currently given up on driveway awnings.

If the issue is the tension in the tunnel I always loosen the guys on the far side connect the tunnel then retighten but this doesn’t look like the issue from the photos above, I think the real issue is that there is insufficient fall on the tunnel with the height of vans we have. I’ve seen a few people using clips and guys on various awnings to create more of an angle and this seems to work

Why don't you cut a hole in the top of the tunnel section and leave a bucket underneath ;) :D Seriously it could do with some sort of air beam that pushes the tunnel section up. Just another reason I've currently given up on driveway awnings.
Or put lots of little holes and turn it into a shower.

When we had the storms while away last summer I had to do that twice during the night. After the second time I decided it would be a good idea to take the tunnel down so I didn’t have to worry anymore. I was absolutely soaked by the time I got back in the van!

Experienced exactly that. It's been an absolute nightmare. Considering the cost, it's not designed very well.

Maybe a good justification for air suspension so you can slam the van and increase the angle! ;)

I basically think it’s not worth the hassle and plan to disconnect if I know heavy rain is forecast (or cut the losses and go home!)

They do design these to connect to a range of heights but I think my van (and probably yours too) are nearer the bottom end of the range but it still seems like it needs to be lower so I think you are right, not great design! Not sure if I’ve got this wrong and people with swampers have it easier?

Mine did pool last night. Not a vast amount and I also had a leak into the van in the top middle of the sliding door and the top corner of the tailgate same side - difficult to see exactly how it came in!
Due some rain in the day tomorrow so I’ll investigate!
Think maybe the shower was heavier than I thought.

I think the only way to prevent it from happening would be to push both ends of the tunnel up with an extendable pole. As long as the middle section it taught it will work.

Back