Van wont start after sitting for a week

HewsonsT6

Hi,

I have a VW T6 65 plate 2.0L Diesel which hasnt seen much use over the winter bar the occassional outing as a second vehicle. Recently its not been starting due to the battery being too low, the van tries to turn over but isnt enough to start it. I had a service in October and as part of that the battery was tested and came back as being all good. Personally im thinking it has something to do with the battery or just the fact that its not gettting enough use to keep it topped up. Failing that could it be a drain somewhere?

Has anyone else come across this?

I probably have answered my own question but it would be interesting to hear any other thoughts.

Thanks
Mark

Get yourself a decent multimeter or a BM2 basic battery monitor so you can keep an eye on the state of charge:

Battery-state-of-charge-for-Wet-and-AGM.png

It sounds most likely to be self discharge on the battery especially if it's getting on a bit. Also any discharge below the 40-50% level will cause damage, especially on starter type batteries.

If you are going to leave a van sitting for a week or longer ideal connect a maintenance charger from CTEK/NoCo/Victron to look after it, or if you are a camper consider solar and some form of starter trickle charger.

Last edited:
Get yourself a decent multimeter or a BM2 basic battery monitor so you can keep an eye on the state of charge:

View attachment 224701

It sounds most likely to be self discharge on the battery especially if it's getting on a bit. Also any discharge below the 40-50% level will cause damage, especially on starter type batteries.

If you are going to leave a van sitting for a week or longer ideal connect a maintenance charger from CTEK/NoCo/Victron to look after it, or if you are a camper consider solar and some form of starter trickle char
ger.
Thanks @roadripper, I will keep an eye on it and see what levels I have over the coming days. I have no idea if the battery has ever been changed so it may be thats what I need to do.

If its original battery it will have a VW label with a VW part number on it

If its original battery it will have a VW label with a VW part number on it
Good point, and if it's the original battery it's best days are behind it bearing in mind it's a 65 plate van, it's roughly 8 years old.

Back