Van levelling, first or reverse?

MrOrk

hi, I was wandering which gear was shorter, so more suitable for driving up ramps, 1st or reverse? Thought it might help with clutch life. My van is a t5.1 2.0tdi 102. Cheers people

I have a 2016 CFCA manual and one thing I’ve noticed is that being in gear either reverse or 1st doesn’t hold it in position on the ramps.
I use reverse with a quick hand brake application.

I'm just playing around with ChatGTP at the moment so I asked it your question. Here's what it said:

In general, reverse gear is shorter than first gear in most vehicles, including the VW T6. Reverse gear is designed to provide more torque and power at lower speeds, making it well-suited for situations such as driving up levelling ramps or manoeuvring in tight spaces. Therefore, it is generally recommended to use the reverse gear when driving up levelling ramps, as it will provide more control and power to tackle the incline. However, it's always a good idea to consult your vehicle's manual or reach out to a VW dealership to confirm the specific gear ratios and recommendations for your T6 model.

I've got a CFCA engined manual T6 and find either 1st or R quite OK for climbing ramps and as @DXX says neither can be relied on to hold so usually hold on foot brake whilst wife puts a chock under one of the wheels that aren't on a ramp. Having both front swivel seats using the hand brake is not an option.

I'm just playing around with ChatGTP at the moment so I asked it your question. Here's what it said:

In general, reverse gear is shorter than first gear in most vehicles, including the VW T6. Reverse gear is designed to provide more torque and power at lower speeds, making it well-suited for situations such as driving up levelling ramps or manoeuvring in tight spaces. Therefore, it is generally recommended to use the reverse gear when driving up levelling ramps, as it will provide more control and power to tackle the incline. However, it's always a good idea to consult your vehicle's manual or reach out to a VW dealership to confirm the specific gear ratios and recommendations for your T6 model.
Sounds very American, bull sh1t baffles brains with the last sentence being a total cop out.

Yes, it is extremely American. Lots of Bias and not always accurate but it's come in handy for me a few times. And yes, it always adds a cop-out sentence at the end. Either way, it appears to be the future.

Seems legit lol

I would say that the mud flaps get in the way when reversing up the ramps anyway though

So if the rear of the van is higher than the front will you reverse up the ‘levelling’ ramps because reverse is a shorter gear?
Won’t you end up with the rear even higher?
Surely you drive which ever way suits the terrain.

So if the rear of the van is higher than the front will you reverse up the ‘levelling’ ramps because reverse is a shorter gear?
Won’t you end up with the rear even higher?
Surely you drive which ever way suits the terrain.
Err... I think, in that situation, he's suggesting reversing with ramps under the front wheels?! :confused:

Can someone translate that for me? Does that mean that reverse is roughly equivalent to 2nd gear? That doesn’t sound right
That’s what I take from it. I agree, doesn’t sound right.
Looks like I’m going to have to find a car park and do some speed/RPM testing..

Reactions: mmi
Looks like I’m going to have to find a car park and do some speed/RPM testing..
Excellent :thumbsup:
Well, got curious if there is even a speed limiter when reversing? Quite some time ago stumbled across an old vehicle (Yamaha Grizzly 660) which had one - interestingly the implementation was to cut-off ignition so got some serious spluttering. Fortunately checked documentation before starting to disassemble...

Some T6 reversing related observations here

I agree, doesn’t sound right.
Agreed. I always thought reverse had a marginally higher ratio than first, but certainly not lower than second. Besides which, reverse should be better for the job because it's usually a straight-cut gear and therefore more efficient.

Back