Vibration under acceleration at 2k rpm

ThePearl

Hi, Transporter 102 5spd manual 2015 on 20” alloys with 40mm lowered springs. Vibration comes up through the floor of the cabin and can be felt on steering wheel and pedals at roughly 2000rpm mostly in upper gears 3-5. Ok, this defect has probably been evident since I bought the van late last year but it’s only now really noticeable on longer runs when fully warmed up. The cold weather and shorter journeys in winter have made it harder to notice.

I’ve seen a good few threads which point to a wide variety of suspects however most of these can be ruled out. It’s probably not DMF/gearbox/tyres/airmass sensor/suspension bushes/springs as these have been checked, serviced or replaced.

There is a fault that has come to my attention regarding the drive shafts that affects some models including the 102. If lowered by over 40mm this can lead to vibrations and other issues due to compression and angles. There is a company out there that sells shortened drive shafts for uber lowered vans but before I go down that route I wondered if anyone had any experience of this and any advice please.

Back