Van height?

I went under one at a beach in Wales and I was alone. A member of the public in the carpark got me under by giving me the thumbs up. Now that is trust (or foolishness!).

If I'd had the wife with me, it would have been easier. At least her weight would lower the van a fair bit.:D
With the very first barrier I encountered, I stopped just before it to let Mrs Bav out and the bloke behind me beeped his horn. I must have been highly stressed at the moment as I shouted out for him to be bloody patient (only in more colourful language) only for Mrs Bav to inform me he was giving me the thumbs up and trying to tell me I was okay to proceed. Oops! :speechless:

We chanced a 2.1m in innsbruck last year and cleared it easily. The next one was 2m and we made it, just. Even the wife was ducking inside :D. On std suspension but with 255 55 18s on so plus 32mm

I measured my lowered swamper california this week, 1m97 , the awning seems to be the highest point.
In the process of booking a ferry crossing to Norway.
In doubt whether i should book the 1m95 height categorie.

When I drop the rear tyre pressure to 29psi (2bar), and put two people in front (as we normaly drive), the height drops to 1m95.

So i guess when the fridge is full with beer, all the luggage is in etc... it will clear 1m95 without a problem?

I measured my lowered swamper california this week, 1m97 , the awning seems to be the highest point.
In the process of booking a ferry crossing to Norway.
In doubt whether i should book the 1m95 height categorie.

When I drop the rear tyre pressure to 29psi (2bar), and put two people in front (as we normaly drive), the height drops to 1m95.

So i guess when the fridge is full with beer, all the luggage is in etc... it will clear 1m95 without a problem?
I'd go with under 1.95m

I'm always worried when going under any height barrier, who's to know the 2.1m it states is really 2.1m and the carpark hasn't been resurfaced since without changing the barrier!

That said there's a 1.9m near here that measures well over 2.1m

I'm always worried when going under any height barrier, who's to know the 2.1m it states is really 2.1m and the carpark hasn't been resurfaced since without changing the barrier!

Presumably, if the barrier is under the stated height, the landowner would be liable for any damage arising... or does that just apply in cloud cuckoo land where everything is just and fair?

I'm minded to create a plumb-line the same length as the height of my van and store it in the van. Then, for those barriers that look too close for comfort, I could easily hop out and do a quick check.

the maximum height limit actually relates, not to the height of the barrier, but the lowest point within the circulatory route of said multi storey car park

example the barrier may measure at 2.1m, BUT, when turning up the ramp or decendin a ramp, the max clearance may be 1.9m, same can be said if ceiling height is 2.1m and the cameras / sprinkler pipework is suspended from within the car park

the maximum height limit actually relates, not to the height of the barrier, but the lowest point within the circulatory route of said multi storey car park

example the barrier may measure at 2.1m, BUT, when turning up the ramp or decendin a ramp, the max clearance may be 1.9m, same can be said if ceiling height is 2.1m and the cameras / sprinkler pipework is suspended from within the car park
The barriers I've encountered have all been at the entrance of open carparks (i.e. the barrier itself is the only restriction), but in a muti-storey carpark scenario, surely the whole point of the barrier is to prevent entry of any vehicles that are too high for the infrastructure beyond. If the barrier states the max allowable height, but allows ingress to higher vehicles, that's just inviting trouble.

Last edited:
The barriers I've encountered have all been at the entrance of open carparks (i.e. the barrier itself is the only restriction), but in a muti-storey carpark scenario, surely the whole point of the barrier is to prevent entry of any vehicles that are too high for the infrastructure beyond. If the barrier states the max allowable height, but allows ingress to higher vehicles, that's just inviting trouble.

what i meant related to the post stating 1.9m max, but was measured at 2.1m

it was the 1.9m max that i was waffling on about, as that is the max within the multi storey, regardless of what the actual barrier measures at

external car parks with height barriers, atre purely there for the prevention of any oversize / height vehicle, ie high top trannies etc

sorry if i confused

i do multi storey and surface level, and underground / croft car parks 7 days and nights a week lol

linemarking is what i do everyday, and have come across some reallt fook off weird restrictions ref height and size etc, some of which are purely there to prevent anything bigger than a car getting in, even though there is 3.5m clearance throught

its described as fear factor by the owners / enforcement companies
you wouldnt risk squeezing in a 1.8 max restriction, so just drive by, you never know, you may be 3.5m to lowest point in car park, but you just dont take the risk

thats what they want
cars pretty much only

I can reasonably drop ours, which is on air, to 1925mm.

Height is important to us and we still remember with great amusement looking at vans at a major converter. How high is it we asked? About 2m was the response. That being an inadequate answer, we fished out a tape measure. They immediately stopped talking to us and nearly threw us out!

Height can make a big difference - last year in this French town all the car parks close to the beach where 1.9m to keep the campervans in a separate area1EB9B5AD-D788-4181-9A08-C1682F028986.jpeg

I meant the car parks in the countryside too, most of them have barriers to stop the gypos from moving in :mad:

Back