Van has been hit.....

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So my van has been hit while parked - looks like the edge of something has gone very solidly into it, almost near the passenger edge of the tailgate.
Tailgate, rear bumper, rear light -and most worrying it's pushed the edge of the tailgate back into the passenger side bodywork and caused local deformation on the side bodywork (but only where the tailgate has contacted).
I have no evidence of who or what hit it.
Insurance claim required.
My question: I'm based in Cheltenham. Can anyone give me a personal bodyshop recommendation - preferably as personal recommendation based on actual experience?
Am I correct in saying that I can stipulate where the van goes for repair? (Though maybe forfeiting a loan vehicle - which I think I can live with?)
Seriously peed off but hey, such is life!

Sorry to hear about that. Check your insurance documents, be careful about any arrangements or expenses as without the insurers permission you may not be re-imbursed. In my experience insurance companies dictate where a vehicle goes for repairs as they are paying for it.
Edit; check to see if any CCTV recording is available at the parking area.

All insurers are different however some allow you to nominate your own repairer. Usually your insurance will have a maximum hourly rate so you may find you have to pay the difference yourself plus your excess. Also your insurer will not guarantee repairs if not done by them. Personally I would use your own recommended repairer rather than let the insurer send it to whoever they want.

So my van has been hit while parked - looks like the edge of something has gone very solidly into it, almost near the passenger edge of the tailgate.
Tailgate, rear bumper, rear light -and most worrying it's pushed the edge of the tailgate back into the passenger side bodywork and caused local deformation on the side bodywork (but only where the tailgate has contacted).
I have no evidence of who or what hit it.
Insurance claim required.
My question: I'm based in Cheltenham. Can anyone give me a personal bodyshop recommendation - preferably as personal recommendation based on actual experience?
Am I correct in saying that I can stipulate where the van goes for repair? (Though maybe forfeiting a loan vehicle - which I think I can live with?)
Seriously peed off but hey, such is life!
Martin Pollard in Frampton on Severn Nr M5J13.
Just drive in, and he will walk around, make notes, and come back quickly with a quotation.

Will post some pics soon - too upset to be anywhere near the van at the mo.
It's a bit of a mess.
Can't see any poss for CCTV.
I'm with Brentacre - need to look at the small print.

Loz just beat me to it with recommending Martin Pollard. He’s sorted all my body shop requirements for nearly 30 years and also we also happen to be neighbours. He did the work on my van after someone drove into me about 13 months ago and dealt directly with my insurance company. The only issue is that so good that he’s in demand and you won’t get the work done immediately. If Martin isn’t there, his son Ben will sort you out.

Thanks guys - will visit Martin.
Looks like Brentacre allows the use of a nominated repairer - dependent upon costs of course.
I can't be without the van until early March so...
Working away at the moment in the Lake District.

So the course of these things never runs smoothly.
A week ago today I visited Martin Pollard Bodyshop and very quickly got a quote which I supplied to the insurer with a raft of images. Somehow the fact that I wanted to use my own repairer didn't make it onto the system..
Anyway, having rectified that I now see the small print of the claim. Apparently I am liable for the difference in labour rate between their network and my nominated repairer. Hardly an unreasonable condition but I now realise that this looks like £200 plus vat, which I can ill afford.

So, is it worth using Martin Pollard and finding the cash - or simply using a repairer in their network?
@Loz & @Ayjay is Martin Pollard that good?
On the few occasions I have had to use a bodyshop for an insurance claim they have been universally awful - even BMW's own local bodyshop.
What to do??

Claim Ref TT22886538-26.jpg

My view would be to find the extra money. About 15 years ago, I had an accident (my fault!) in my Avensis T180 Estate and foolishly let the insurance company (I think it might have been Direct Line) arrange for their repairer (who was attached to the Vauxhall franchise in Gloucester) to do the work which IIRC amounted to a new front bumper and radiator plus a foglight (but there was probably a bit more than that). When I got home after picking it up, I realised that the lines on the bumper were very slightly out and drove back to the repair shop who agreed that it might not be 100% but said it was good enough and when I spoke with the insurer, they backed them up. In the end, I tidied it up myself. When I first reported the accident, the insurers told me that if I wanted to use my own repairers, I would also have to pay the whole bill and claim back from them afterwards (obvs, less the excess) which is why I let them arrange everything (but regretted it).
When I had my accident in the van about 14 months ago, I told the insurers at the outset that I wanted to use my own repairer and Martin did the work after quoting to and being given the OK by the insurance company BUT I think he was already on their 'approved' list.
If they're asking you to cough up the extra £200, be aware, that they might also ask you to front up the money for the total and claim from them afterwards - it's certainly worth checking.

I would agree to find the money to use the repairer you want. There is a reason for your choice from what I can see.

Too late now, however time to invest into a front and rear DVR like the thinkware models that would have captured this.

I would agree to find the money to use the repairer you want. There is a reason for your choice from what I can see.

Too late now, however time to invest into a front and rear DVR like the thinkware models that would have captured this.
The stupid thing is I have a rear view camera!
But I haven't got around to fitting it! Got as far as getting the wire into the tailgate but then spent ages trying (and failing) to fish it through. Gave up.
Looking a bit stupid now.

I would say yes, they are, who are they promoting as their approved? Would you incur additional costs if you used theirs?
There is quite the list for Glos. No I wouldn't incur additional costs and I'd also get a courtesy car.
I am hoping that when Ben at Martin Pollard speaks with Markerstudy I'll get a better result.

Although I cannot comment on your specific garages, my opinion would be to go with the recommended repairer, even if it does cost a bit more.

Your insurance provider chooses their repairer based (mostly) on cost. Martin Pollard are hopefully more concerned about their reputation and pleasing the customer.

I have had repairs done under both types of situation and unless there was absolutely no way I could use my own repairer, it is what I will always choose from now on.

The van is your pride and joy, having it damaged in the first place is enough to make you weep, but being able to look at it once the work is done and not finding a blemish takes a huge amount of that away.

Looking at badly matched paint, wonky trim lines, and crappy aftermarket parts does not.

Good luck getting it all sorted. I hope it is a relatively happy outcome.

I’m sure if it were dropped into the conversation that you are paying extra out of you own pocket, for Martian to do the repairs, and as he has been recommended by forum members, he will be 100 percent focused on doing the repairs properly on your van.

Back