Review: Van Doc Ltd / Vandoc Conversions Ltd

DaveyB

Team White
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Having looked through this area, I am quite surprised not to see Van Doc’s name. So here goes with first review for them.

I first got in touch with them in January to make an appointment to go and visit with a view to getting a Hilo roof fitted. This was all simple, and within a week Mrs DaveyB and I arrived at their unit and got to have a good look round.

I was pleased with their attitude and friendliness, and they weren’t trying to shuffle us out of the door after an hour or so. Due to the Hilo offer (free scenic canvas and polished hinges) having only a couple of days to run, I ordered there and then. We gave a rough indication of dates as our calendar is very tight due to sailing events most weekends, with a promise that they would get back to us with a definitive.

Over the next couple of weeks I called/ emailed the office a couple of times to try and sort the date and just kept being told “we’re working on it” by Wendy. As said, because we use the vans most weekends it was imperative that we knew when this was being done, because otherwise we needed to book accommodation, and due to the size of these events, leave it too late and you can’t get a motel room. A little more time passed and I called Wendy again, only to be shouted at down the phone. To say this angered me is an understatement. A roof costs a lot of money and I was not going to be treated in such a way; if a business wants my custom then I need to feel like I am the most important person to them, especially when I had already paid £3800 deposit to secure the Hilo roof.

After sitting on my hands for a few hours, as I was so cross and let’s be honest banging out an angry email is not conducive to getting a logical point across, i emailed Dean. That evening I got a phone call from him. He explained that he was very sorry that i was feeling the way I was and assured me that he would sort it out and that I had not made a mistake in booking to use his company.

A couple of weeks later I heard that Wendy had been sacked, as I was not the only person who had reported issues with her, plus I think so had ballsed up the booking calendar somewhat as well. Now I am not the sort of person to dwell on negatives, and as I have said to @Dean@VanDoc, the mark of a good company is how they put things right when stuff goes wrong (as it inevitably will - let’s be realistic).

The van went in when it was booked for, and came back when it was scheduled to roll out. There have been niggles, but Dean/ Laura have been there at the end of the phone/ email every time. There have been no brush-offs, no denials, just a willingness to resolve the problems.

The roof was originally creaking and whistling when driving. Dean had it back, made a couple of adjustments, whistling stopped and so did the creaking. Unfortunately the creaking returned after about 50 miles of driving, and also I couldn’t collapse the roof, despite literally swinging off the handles.

Laura called up, arranged for it to go back in and they had it for a couple of days. Bit of gas released from the struts, a few other tweeks made and roof is quiet and hopefully is going to stay that way.

Dean and Laura have been very apologetic about these issues, but as I have said to them I expect teething issues, and they have acted exactly as I expect them to do to rectify. I have said it before, and i’ll say it again, the mark of a good company is how they act during the problems, and Van Doc have managed these in the correct manner.

No it has not been plain sailing, but am I happy overall. Yes I am. Love the roof, and I have got a good service and quick / speedy responses to rectify problems. What more can be said. :thumbsup:.

We are still having issues would appreciate your input. We paid and booked roof last september, told it would be done feb. tried to put us back to May(when feb arrived) but told them it wasnt on. Apparently wendy has screwed them up. Eventually negotiated march and its still there (15 weeks later), Dean never answers the phone but paul seems to handle things ok, have been fobbed off for so long now cant begin to describe how upset we are that we have missed so much of the summer. what did yours go in for and how long did it take please? I get the impression ours has just been sat there and left.

You could always do a surprise visit. They can't hide from you when you're at their door.
From the few stories I've heard it wouldn't be the first van to have sat in the vandoc Car park.

I tried a veiled threat this week and asked for photos which havent arrived today. I am so close to going to just fetch it, I have asked for them to make it driveable. It has definielty been just sat although they assure me it hasnt. They could build the b...y van in this time

We are still having issues would appreciate your input. We paid and booked roof last september, told it would be done feb. tried to put us back to May(when feb arrived) but told them it wasnt on. Apparently wendy has screwed them up. Eventually negotiated march and its still there (15 weeks later), Dean never answers the phone but paul seems to handle things ok, have been fobbed off for so long now cant begin to describe how upset we are that we have missed so much of the summer. what did yours go in for and how long did it take please? I get the impression ours has just been sat there and left.
WOW, I would have been on their doorstep after 15 days. You need to call and see them.

Sorry to hear that you are having such issues. Yes Wendy did screw them up massively, but 15 weeks is not acceptable, especially when you want to be talking to the boss.
I know another member who had a bit of a wait, found the vehicle still sat there after 4weeks, but gave them what for and it was resolved in just over 7 days from that point.

All I would say is go there unannounced and hold them to account. I stood my ground over time scales, and fortunately mine got turned round appropriately.

Let us all know how you get on, as prospective clients need to be able to have a balanced set of reviews.

Wil do thanks, have had photos and cal this afternoon. I know its a bespoke fit but that was apparent from the outset. Paul does seem to be trying really hard to fix it and keep in touch but still no contact from the owners!!

Update: Worktop requested with product codes colours etc in February is only now being quoted for so not even ordered yet!!!!

Cancel the fitment!.
Speak with HiLo direct and request your order and roof be send to another fitter.
Your deposit should have gone direct to HiLo and therefore the roof is yours!. The fitting can be done by others and will try to assist..

Honestly phone HiLo direct.. this is not the first time I am lead to believe..

@HiLo Roofs, are you able to offer @lizzieb some assistance and guidance. She is ultimately one of your customers having already covered the entire cost of her roof, which is paid directly to you.

Crikey :eek: Only ever heard good things about them up till now, maybe they've taken on too much?

The roof was fitted by 12th april, I get the impression its been on hold since then. I know its not a run of the mill conversion but they knew that from the outset but we haven't messed them about they have known exactly what we wanted from the word go.. Hilo were contacted when they tried to put the date back 2 months after we had already waited (and paid deposit) for 6 months.

Crikey :eek: Only ever heard good things about them up till now, maybe they've taken on too much?
They've said Wendy screwed them over but she is no longer there yet sadly we keep hearing tales of vans just sat around in their car park.

A bit of a ‘post-CamperJam’ update.

As most folk will know we use the Hilo on our van almost weekly and absolutely love it, it’s a great roof. A couple of additional tweaks are needed after using it CamperJam though.

These bits came to light during the CJ weekend so had the opportunity to go and speak to Mick on the Hilo stand, and he asked if he could come straight to see the van and take a look (properly surprised at his eagerness to see what was occurring). Ultimately Mick is now working alongside VD to address these bits for me.

Happy with Kerri and Mick from Hilo, they’ve been very supportive. As I was talking with Mick at CamperJam and mentioned how the roof had creaked but that VD had sorted it out and that was now fine, he twigged and said “you must be DaveyB then?”. “I went and looked at your van whilst it was in at VD to see what was occurring with the creaking”.

Will keep you all updated as to how well these bits get resolved.

Last edited:
You have to credit @HiLo Roofs they always seem to respond/react when needed

I found Jay from extreme vans in our club camping area on Saturday with another member, he was having some issues with overly tight struts on the roof making it hard to pull down in hot weather and he came straight up and sorted it out
He was wearing a Hilo T shirt so think he was flying the flag for them at CJ but had a chat with him while he was having a sneaky beer and seemed like a decent chap and again kudos to HiLo for getting it sorted :thumbsup:

You have to credit @HiLo Roofs they always seem to respond/react when needed

I found Jay from extreme vans in our club camping area on Saturday with another member, he was having some issues with overly tight struts on the roof making it hard to pull down in hot weather and he came straight up and sorted it out
He was wearing a Hilo T shirt so think he was flying the flag for them at CJ but had a chat with him while he was having a sneaky beer and seemed like a decent chap and again kudos to HiLo for getting it sorted :thumbsup:
Sounds like that other member was having the same difficulties I had, in that it was impossible to pull the roof down - certainly harder still in hot weather. Fortunately it is just a case of letting a bit of gas out. I spoke with Mick from @HiLo Roofs on the phone after I had had this problem with mine. He says they are of such a rating due to people having Kayaks etc on the roof, and the struts needing to lift them as well.

Yeah Jay was part of the Hilo stand and had one of his vans with him. I got confused initially when I was asking him questions and he pointed out he was from extreme vans (he was in a black Hilo t-shirt, the Hilo guy’s were in blue).

This is a great factual report and believe that it is honest and open forum that make the consumer better aware when deciding what and where to get products fitted.

I do believe that HiLo has a great product but currently being let down by poor installation.. in VD's defence they have been doing great work up until recently but feel they have/are taking on more than they are experienced/time for.. but that IMO.
Sometimes it is wiser to have fewer and better than lots of fitters.. HiLo have had a rocky start with poorly fitted and a rushed product to market but glad to say that they have over come that, in the hope they don't slip off the pedestal.

Back