Van decision dilemas

With regards to your mention “it is a van”, I hear that panel vans when re-registered are re-classified as a “van with windows”. Does that compromise the camper with speed restrictions ?

With regards to your mention “it is a van”, I hear that panel vans when re-registered are re-classified as a “van with windows”. Does that compromise the camper with speed restrictions ?

Oops. I see you call it a van. I am lead to understand that when vans are converted they are re-classified as 'van with windows' and not as 'camper vans'.
So does this compromise there legality with respect to speed limitations ?

I’ve been here for 2.5 years and the speed limits, benefit in kind, N1 and mot classes still baffle me. :laugh:

I took a punt on a 102 and have been really surprised how nippy it is, might be different with a full camper interior but i'm not going down that road. The best advice I got from reading threads on here was buy the best base van you can afford and save up for the bits you want to add. Get a MFSW as well - love my one

I have a 102 5 speed and can easily keep up with traffic and make progress when I need to. Remember vans & Kombis have a lower speed limit! They can all be remapped to a higher BHP though one of the companies pulled the 102 remap due to turbo problems.

I always have manuals as like an involving drive. I can see a point when I’ll switch.

I have barn doors - better for just chucking things in the back, parking and being able to open a door and forklifting a pallet in the back. Tailgate seems preferred as shelter from the rain though not always if coming down at an angle. For me, everything else about the van was right so compromised on the doors.

Mine on -40 H&R springs and Koni shocks curtsey of @CRS Performance and it transformed the ride and look.

Hope that helps!

Ian
Sounds interesting. What size wheels and tyres did you go for as a replacement for the originals ?

Is it expensive to convert the original headlights to LED ?

Yes. Very.

There are lots of threads on here that say how dire the standard headlights are. There are aftermarket headlights that look similar to OEM LEDs that can be retro fitted with LED bulbs or HIDs which give very good results, but buying a van with factory LEDs in the first place saves entering into that minefield.

Yes. Very.

There are lots of threads on here that say how dire the standard headlights are. There are aftermarket headlights that look similar to OEM LEDs that can be retro fitted with LED bulbs or HIDs which give very good results, but buying a van with factory LEDs in the first place saves entering into that minefield.

After market replacement HID / LED bulbs risk an MOT failure (if spotted!)

Not sure if you've mentioned if your van is going to be a camper, fwiw I tested a newly converted 102 auto and imo the handling wasnt a patch on a similarly converted 150 auto. It's already been said, I'd prioritise the van itself over your intended use, imo if you can, get the 150 auto. At least get a test drive of each.

And I haven't lowered the suspension, I'd rather have as much ground clearance as possible when camping off-grid.

If you end up manual then it depends if you want 5 or 6 gears. 102=5spd 150 and above =6spd.

6 speed all the way for myself.

Reactions: DXX
"I wish I had a less powerful van. I might pay hundreds of pounds to have the power reduced."

Said nobody. Ever.
It's not about driving fast, it's about a relaxing drive.

"I wish I had a less powerful van. I might pay hundreds of pounds to have the power reduced."

Said nobody. Ever.
It's not about driving fast, it's about a relaxing drive.
My front tyres are always complaining as I leave the lights (as the vehicle next to me says “what the Fook“) and the wife looks ...
sorry it’s the van too much power ( 204 T32 ) :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

My front tyres are always complaining as I leave the lights (as the vehicle next to me says “what the Fook“) and the wife looks ...
sorry it’s the van too much power ( 204 T32 ) :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
The pedal on the right, a bit less pressure....... ;)
If that doesn't work you need a 4Motion! :thumbsup:

I am thinking of getting a SWB instead of my LWB, no wait no one ever said that either ;)
Change the H4 headlights to H7 for about £350 with new parts if you can’t find second hand and the performance is fine.

I’m about to go and buy myself a T6.
Help me with the pros and cons ....
Do I go for a 102 or a 150 ?
Do I go for Manual or Auto ?
Do I go for a tailgate or barn doors ?
Do I lower it ?

I've a 102, no problems overtaking or uphills but as people are hinting, why wouldn't I want a 150?
As I haven't forgotten how to drive, a manual :)
Tricky, I think the tailgate looks better, takes a bike rack better but horizontal rain in Scotland means limited shelter. I never open my barn doors anyway. Not much in it.
I've seen vans lowered so far they must scrape on the ground, in the spots I use when parking up in the Highlands I need a bit of clearance, I've dropped the front 30mm only for traction and some aesthetics.
I bought my van 4 months ago to replace a 102 Highline 65 plate (Euro5), I've replaced it with a 102 Highline 66 plate (Euro6)!
Equally large pros for me were single front swivel seats, trim level (eg MFSW)) and headlights. I would have liked a 6th gear.
Everybody's different, and of course it depends on what you will be using it for.

Last edited:
If you can look for the removable tow bar, it’s rare but would let you use a tow bar bike rack and one like the Atera will still allow access to the tailgate or barn doors. Unlike the tailgate rack.
My 4Motion is also Highlands based and totally agree about keeping ground clearance.

Back