I’m about to go and buy myself a T6.
Help me with the pros and cons ....
Do I go for a 102 or a 150 ?
Do I go for Manual or Auto ?
Do I go for a tailgate or barn doors ?
Do I lower it ?

1) 150 - more power is always better
2) Auto - easier and love my DSG box
3) Your choice - tailgate looks better but I find barn doors more practical for my use.
4) Yes - better handling, looks.

I have a 102 5 speed and can easily keep up with traffic and make progress when I need to. Remember vans & Kombis have a lower speed limit! They can all be remapped to a higher BHP though one of the companies pulled the 102 remap due to turbo problems.

I always have manuals as like an involving drive. I can see a point when I’ll switch.

I have barn doors - better for just chucking things in the back, parking and being able to open a door and forklifting a pallet in the back. Tailgate seems preferred as shelter from the rain though not always if coming down at an angle. For me, everything else about the van was right so compromised on the doors.

Mine on -40 H&R springs and Koni shocks curtsey of @CRS Performance and it transformed the ride and look.

Hope that helps!

Ian

All those things are subjective, so what might be right for one person, might not be right for you.

For me personally.

1) 204.
2) DSG.
3) Tailgate.
4) Definitely.

As has been said though, you have to do what’s right for your personal needs/circumstances, everybody has different wants/needs/priorities. What works for one doesn’t work for all

Another view:

102 is plenty for normal traffic.
Manual every time - one less thing to go wrong too.
Barn doors - more flexible.
Leave it standard height - how else will I get onto more rustic campsites ?

It does intend entirely on its intended use.

Pete

1) Get the most powerful one you can afford, out of the two I'd go 150 with a long term plan for a re-map.
2) DSG, I used to be a manual kind of guy but after driving a DSG I was hooked - effortless driving.
3) Think about your personal use, barn doors are more flexible, I also think they look better but I'm odd like that sometimes! I've got a tailgate.
4) LIFT IT!!!!

I agree with Ali-G. Not just because Im also a koppite. Originally I was looking for a T5.1 150 auto. I ended up with a T6 204 DSG 4M on 18's. I am very very happy with what I ended up with. Mines at OEM height but may go 40mm lowered once i finish all my other more important mods.

Tailgates rule.

I’m about to go and buy myself a T6.
Help me with the pros and cons ....
Do I go for a 102 or a 150 ?
Do I go for Manual or Auto ?
Do I go for a tailgate or barn doors ?
Do I lower it ?
If your buying from a dealer why not test drive ( or do a short hire from local hire outlet ) that way you could compare for your self rather than make a costly error...which ever way you go a good base van will always be convertible to suit your needs ,what you can’t do later is change the engine/ gearbox ..nearly everything else depends on deep pockets.....every variant of van is some ones pride and joy and it’s never about who’s got the best or worst....it’s about how it works for you :thumbsup:

Last edited:
We aren't helping much are we ;)

Tell us what you are going to use it for Pete
It’s all helpful. I’m learning from the response. It’s just two adults and a dog doing a bit of touring around UK and Europe. Bit of walking and a bit of cycling, that sort of thing. I prefer auto so that’s a preference already and I now understand that only comes with a 150. With the doors, how do the two options work with a bike rack ? Another question is what kind of awning - or maybe even a drive away tent. What is easiest and most convenient ?

It’s all helpful. I’m learning from the response. It’s just two adults and a dog doing a bit of touring around UK and Europe. Bit of walking and a bit of cycling, that sort of thing. I prefer auto so that’s a preference already and I now understand that only comes with a 150. With the doors, how do the two options work with a bike rack ? Another question is what kind of awning - or maybe even a drive away tent. What is easiest and most convenient ?
Only a towbar rack if you have barn doors.

Drive away awning for me (I’ve also got a sun canopy awning for short trips ) which ever you buy think about how much stuff your going to put in it ( some camping chairs are quite big and your pet still wants his/ her own bed Area ). Nearly forgot air beams are better :)

why does anybody want a manual, auto is such a relaxing drive and 95% + you are either in traffic or cruising anyway. And it is a van!

I even converted a Defender to auto, best thing I ever did.

Auto's or DSG's are very reliable and we hear many people do 200k+, tow with them, are heavily loaded etc etc.

If you think you need more power then buy a 199/204 or buy a 150 and map the ECU.

The roads are only going to get busier and busier and as we move towards EV cars virtually everything will be auto anyway, for me driving a manual now is very retro and why would you choose to do it!

No offence to anyone, just my personal opinion,

why does anybody want a manual, auto is such a relaxing drive and 95% + you are either in traffic or cruising anyway. And it is a van!

I even converted a Defender to auto, best thing I ever did.

Auto's or DSG's are very reliable and we hear many people do 200k+, tow with them, are heavily loaded etc etc.

If you think you need more power then buy a 199/204 or buy a 150 and map the ECU.

The roads are only going to get busier and busier and as we move towards EV cars virtually everything will be auto anyway, for me driving a manual now is very retro and why would you choose to do it!

No offence to anyone, just my personal opinion,
With the

Back