Van Awning

joe_j_barnes

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All,

I have a 2017 T6

Bought to convert at some stage however I want to utilise this year and will buy a awning to start camping.

I don’t want to waste my money so this will be to use also once van is fully converted, and will be an addition.

I’ve recently seen the bell tents and really like the log fire setup with the look of it, so do I buy this one or a Gallii setup etc ?

Plan to sleep in it then once van is done it will become spare space / spare sleeping area.

I know this is about personal choice but could do with any pics you have and advice really.

Thanks.
Joe.

Joe

We have a small and a large Kampa awnings
Good quality and well made but in my opinion the Vango gear is better

All the best
Andy

Thanks both.

Been looking at them all today do like the vangos but just want to make right decision am guessing I’ll end up having more than one tent moving forward tho.

Anyone with a bell tent for their van have any pics to show me.?

I have access to various size bell tents through my DofE & Scouts leadership / Instructor roles. Have used the 4m & 3m with my van. But these are not the awning types just stand alone tents that I pitch next to my van.

Great tents but heavy and large when packed away. I've never used a wood burner stove in one.
Not sure I would actually buy one myself, it's just that I have access to a lot of different tents so decided to try one last year.
IMG_20180526_114754_01.jpg

The Glawning is brilliant if you are going to one campsite for your holiday rather than multiple different sites. And you need to be there for at least 3 nights to warrant making the effort I'd say. It is brilliant though and we love using it, especially with the wood burner.

On the topic of awnings, has anyone tried one of these Fiamma screens?
Just thinking for short stays it would be much easier than the Kampa Travel Pod.
Cheers
Phil

s-l500.jpg

On the topic of awnings, has anyone tried one of these Fiamma screens?
Just thinking for short stays it would be much easier than the Kampa Travel Pod.
Cheers
Phil

View attachment 35308
We bought the full on Fiamma Privacy Room a few months back but have not used it in anger yet - gives the option to use just the front wall and door or the sides but not sure we ever would.

We bought the full on Fiamma Privacy Room a few months back but have not used it in anger yet - gives the option to use just the front wall and door or the sides but not sure we ever would.
Do you have to bolt the Fiamma onto the van? I'm thinking of a Fiamma Privacy Room for our summer tour but don't want it on my van permanently.
Do they do a kit that will fix to the roof rails?

Do you have to bolt the Fiamma onto the van? I'm thinking of a Fiamma Privacy Room for our summer tour but don't want it on my van permanently.
Do they do a kit that will fix to the roof rails?
There are a variety of options for attaching the F45s and similar roll out awnings to the van, including some that would allow you to readily detach the awning from the van via, for example a combi rail. The Privacy Room (3 versions available - standard, light and ultra light) uses the F45s as the starting point and then has attachment/strengthening/stiffening bars that attach to the side edges of the rolled out awning for attachment of the sides - the front just slides into one of the channels on the leading edge of the awning. One thing to be aware of is that the privacy room, especially if you go for the heaviest weight one like we did, is a big, heavy package that takes up a lot of room in the van - as a consequence, we will only be taking it on those trips where we know it will be used.

There are a variety of options for attaching the F45s and similar roll out awnings to the van, including some that would allow you to readily detach the awning from the van via, for example a combi rail. The Privacy Room (3 versions available - standard, light and ultra light) uses the F45s as the starting point and then has attachment/strengthening/stiffening bars that attach to the side edges of the rolled out awning for attachment of the sides - the front just slides into one of the channels on the leading edge of the awning. One thing to be aware of is that the privacy room, especially if you go for the heaviest weight one like we did, is a big, heavy package that takes up a lot of room in the van - as a consequence, we will only be taking it on those trips where we know it will be used.
Thanks @Davenjo
Would you say to takes up as much room as a Vango Awning ? And is it just as much effort if you're putting up the whole room?
We are thinking of ease as we will probably only be stopping one night in each location but also saving on space.

Thanks @Davenjo
Would you say to takes up as much room as a Vango Awning ? And is it just as much effort if you're putting up the whole room?
We are thinking of ease as we will probably only be stopping one night in each location but also saving on space.
Ours takes up more room than our old Kela 3 bagged up and is heavier - the light and ultra light will be a lot smaller - for what you require, have a look at the ultra light version. I’d say ours takes about the same effort to put up. It is however a much more solid, stable and less flappy awning - it is also a lot easier to dry if you have to put away wet as you can hang and dry each panel separately.

@Lord Mfwic - just had an email from Vango with their new ranges - look like they have some great new awnings for 2019 - as well as some new driveway awnings they also have some much cheaper poled awnings, e.g. "Bondi", that might suit your requirements for something compact, light and quick to put up and take down for your European tour?? Bondi Low

@Lord Mfwic - just had an email from Vango with their new ranges - look like they have some great new awnings for 2019 - as well as some new driveway awnings they also have some much cheaper poled awnings, e.g. "Bondi", that might suit your requirements for something compact, light and quick to put up and take down for your European tour?? Bondi Low
Thanks for that. We already have the Vango Cruz which I really like. Pippa seems to think its a bit of a faff to put up and take down for 1 night, which I'm inclined to agree with. However, if the alternatives are just as much hassle then I'm inclined to stick with what we've got.
The beauty of our awning is its a drive away, so if we want to pop off for some shopping etc we can leave it set up. You can't do that with a Fiamma Privacy Room so it would seem to me to not be as versatile. The only benefit I can see is if you just want to roll out the top awning for a bit of cover whilst sitting outside.
No doubt the boss (Pippa) will have her own opinion and that is what we will end up with.:rolleyes:

Back