new to this -awnings?

Newadventurer

T6 Pro
Hello we are getting a SWB T6 transporter combi converted to camper , wondering which way to go with awnings and would appreciate peoples feedback please, We are not sure to go with a wind out / slide on/ and i believe is there some kind of inflatable type too? Our SWB highline van ( to be ) is a bit unusual in the fact that it has two sliders on each side ( has anyone else got a van like that ? ) and so we actually could do something on both sides at some stage if we wanted to and cost allowed ! but probably won't , so we want to try to make the best choice from the start , where are the wind outs positioned ? Are they on the side or top of the van , in which case would it make a problem with that little bit of extra height ? Apologies for so many queries but we are completely new to all this camper lark , can't wait !

I am also pretty new to this, but we went with a Reimo multi rail rather than a wind out awning.
There are pros and cons to both.
For us the extra height of a wind out awning was an issue as we garage our camper.
Also we didn’t like the way the legs come out or the wind out pole; for us too easy to accidentally knock the van.
However they are easier and quicker to wind out when you want a bit of shade and you also don’t have to store an awning in the van.
The multi rail offers more flexibility and the awning choice is vast.
You mention potentially having awnings on both sides / either side: Our diesel heater exhausts on the drivers side, so if you have or are wanting one, be aware of that as you don’t want an exhaust going into your awning.

Plenty of us with twin sliders. I just have seats/bed in the back of my van. I cook outside. There is an awning rail on both sides of my van, depending on weather and if the wifes with me I'll either use a Railsail/tarp to sit and cook under on one side or put the awning up on one side and the tarp on the other. You just have to remember which door to open for the awning. Nobody want's to see you stark bollock naked sat on the end of the bed, thinking you were going into the awning to get dressed :cry:

Camping.jpgIMG_6303.jpgIMG_6306.jpgIMG_6308.jpg

Plenty of us with twin sliders. I just have seats/bed in the back of my van. I cook outside. There is an awning rail on both sides of my van, depending on weather and if the wifes with me I'll either use a Railsail/tarp to sit and cook under on one side or put the awning up on one side and the tarp on the other. You just have to remember which door to open for the awning. Nobody want's to see you stark bollock naked sat on the end of the bed, thinking you were going into the awning to get dressed :cry:

View attachment 192261View attachment 192262View attachment 192263View attachment 192264
I have a twin slider but a rail just one side at the moment. Considering adding one to the other side as well.

Deaky, is that the Kiravans rail sail? I love the look of it but keep getting stuck at the checkout button based on the cost over alternatives. Those are great pictures and might just have convinced me to get on with it.

I have a twin slider but a rail just one side at the moment. Considering adding one to the other side as well.

Deaky, is that the Kiravans rail sail? I love the look of it but keep getting stuck at the checkout button based on the cost over alternatives. Those are great pictures and might just have convinced me to get on with it.
Yes it is a Railsail. Best setup found is to use it with 4 poles.

We had a wind out Thule canopy on our Motorhome. Yes it was easy and worked well, I was always concerned that it would get caught by wind. We did have tie down straps, but I was never at ease. We have gone with the Multirail on our VW and have a tent/awning and a sail. Which either can attach to the rail. A rail on each side looks like a great idea. Of course they also help with channeling rain away from door opening. Enjoy your Van

All depends on your needs. Do you need the space for dogs/kids etc or are you just a couple/single?
We tried “proper” awnings, an Outdoor Revolution (absolute garbage) which we swapped for a Dorema (top quality), but then realised we didn’t need either. They are a pain to put up/pack away, especially when wet/windy. They take up valuable space in the van and on site. We now have a Reimo palm beach & a multirail on either side of the van. It’s a 5 minute job to put up/away. Packs up to the size of a golf brolly & costs around £100.

@roooms. I've got a Kiravans Railsail as well (mine's black) - brilliant and adaptable bit of kit which I settled on after using (and rejecting) a couple of other types. We've used it in some pretty wet and windy conditions and I've always been confident of it's survivability. Anything over a couple of days and we tend to put the Vango Kela up. That said, my van is single side door and single Reimo Rail. Loads of people use Thule type wind out awnings successfully but I was never convinced about their durability and also don't particularly like the look of the cassette bolted to the van (but that's a personal thing!). When we were in Normandy last year, there was a horrendous but very brief storm which caused a lot of damage in the area - one of the victims was a large Fiat based camper parked up the row from us whose Thule wind out was lifted up and thrown back over the vehicle. I don't know how well it was pinned down or how much damage was done to the van but the awning and it's cassette were not a pretty site and it made me very glad that I didn't have one.

And just to offer another point of view - consider if you need a space that's actually connected to the van. I just needed a shelter from the sun or rain and as I always cook outside the van, I opted for a Berghaus Air Shelter, which goes up and down in minutes, and has been great for my needs (and no need to fit an awning rail to the van)...

IMG_0487.jpg.png

Back