Van alarm going off at 6am

Hi ...Please don’t shoot me if not totally right....A battery assist or jump start would really only get the van started, it would not necessarily put all the power back...a trickle charge/conditioner would restore the battery back to full health
Correct! Lidl’s are selling both from tomorrow!

Hi ...Please don’t shoot me if not totally right....A battery assist or jump start would really only get the van started, it would not necessarily put all the power back...a trickle charge/conditioner would restore the battery back to full health
Yes, you are quite right! I think I might off steered the thread off topic slightly - apologies!

The good news is that Lidl’s have chargers and jump-starters coming in tomorrow. Handy things to have in the garage for not much money!

Thanks for the heads up! Will check them out tomorrow as I don't have either!

a standard T6 with no additional electricals off the starter battery will last about 3weeks ish before being too flat to start the van.

Thanks for the heads up! Will check them out tomorrow as I don't have either!
Ha ha ha! In another thread you’d be spanked for using “heads up”!!!

For a DIYer, Lidl’s is fine

• Haha
Reactions: Jlo
a standard T6 with no additional electricals off the starter battery will last about 3weeks ish before being too flat to start the van.
Ah, that’s good to know especially during the new lockdown! I should have SORN’d my van in March!

more info :

So, had the van in charge for 6 hours on Saturday and ran the engine for 30 mins - stationary.

Alarm went off again this morning. My question is how long should it take to charge the battery from the mains?

battery monitor arriving tomorrow....

Hmmm! 6 hours charge and running the engine for half an hour should have given it enough oomph.

Rough guide times

100ah battery on 10A charger 10hours.

100ah ba5tery on 5A charher 20hours.

70ah battery., 10A , 7hrs.

79ah, battery 5A, 14hrs.

So what charger have you got?.

Also most smart chargers detect the battery charge state, So just leave connected untill they read 100%

Also SLA batterys get damaged a small % every time you run them flat so you loose capacity.

I`d always recommend an overnight charge...as long as you can on a low amp rating to condition the battery then charge it. @Dellmassive charging examples are the normal calculation but another issue maybe a faulty Ultrasonic unit and/or sensitivity too high on it. It can be adjusted with VCDS.

Hi All,

Alarm started going off at 6am this morning. Battery appeared to be dead. Haven’t used van since 27 Oct. is this normal? Has the cold caused it to drain quicker?

cheers

Cz.
Seems a little quick to drain. Last used mine on 25th Oct and it’s still fine..... May be worth checking the current drain when it’s off (and all systems have gone to sleep).

Rough guide times

100ah battery on 10A charger 10hours.

100ah ba5tery on 5A charher 20hours.

70ah battery., 10A , 7hrs.

79ah, battery 5A, 14hrs.

So what charger have you got?.

Also most smart chargers detect the battery charge state, So just leave connected untill they read 100%

Also SLA batterys get damaged a small % every time you run them flat so you loose capacity.
Morning Dell,

i was plugged in via the triple charger (Votronic 3244 Battery Charger VBCS 45/30/350 Triple) if i recall it charges at around 24amps from the mains.

It was on charge from 4am till 7am and I just did the 40 mile round trip school run in it - mostly motorway. voltage reading when engine off is now 12.8v...

They’re useful, but if you have access to a DC clamp meter it’s worth checking the drain in mA aswell as the voltage drop. :thumbsup:

Back