Underseat Fuses And Wiring

Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Having taken out the passenger bench seat, I've got some multi pin connectors under there and these two 15 amp fuses. Does anyone know what they're for. As one of the wires is fairly substantial I'm wondering if it's a positive supply from the main battery, perhaps to supply a secondary battery. It's taped off though. Any ideas?

20180516_195026.jpg

One fuse is cig socket not sure on other
Blanked cable is permanent battery feed for non fitted secondary fusebox from E-box under battery in engine bay supplied via 50a midi fuse

Thanks @Pauly. I have the usual two 12v cig sockets on the dash but also a couple in the rear side panels. I wonder if the second fuse is for these sockets.

So it would be ok to tap this redundant positive feed to power something in the future? Assuming whatever it powers is less than 50 amp start up draw. Would I be right in thinking its not dependent on the ignition being on. Its simply a fused feed straight from the positive terminal on the battery?

So it would be ok to tap this redundant positive feed to power something in the future? Assuming whatever it powers is less than 50 amp start up draw. Would I be right in thinking its not dependent on the ignition being on. Its simply a fused feed straight from the positive terminal on the battery?
Essentially yes, prob worth double checking the fuse size as I’m not 100% is a 50 should be 100 if you have factory second battery and 50 without
I use mine to power my split charge system

Ah. I've been fitting a wiring loom, leisure battery and split charger supplied by
@travelvolts to under my drivers seat when I rediscovered this cable. Cant think of anything I need to fit additionally, that would ever need 50 amps from the main battery but handy to know it's there for the odd wee accessory.:thumbsup:

Hi Pauly please forgive my ignorance here, but is what you are saying that it is possible to use this feed to power a dc - dc charger like the CTEK D250SA that in turn will charge a leisure battery?

If so will this supply need an ignition fed relay as it is a permanent battery feed?

Or am I totally missing something on this one?

Thanks in advance for you help Cheers Tom

Essentially yes, prob worth double checking the fuse size as I’m not 100% is a 50 should be 100 if you have factory second battery and 50 without
I use mine to power my split charge system

Yes you can use that cable for the main supply (if it’s present) but the D250 also needs an ignition live otherwise it will shutdown when the alternator voltage drops, the ign live forces the charger to keep harvesting the lower voltage and converting it to charge

Yes you can use that cable for the main supply (if it’s present) but the D250 also needs an ignition live otherwise it will shutdown when the alternator voltage drops, the ign live forces the charger to keep harvesting the lower voltage and converting it to charge

So if the permanent feed is not there Ill need to run a feed straight from the battery with a fuse inline is this correct?

Cheers Tom

@Noiseboy, Yes. If you have a look at Travelvolts website he can supply you a kit to do this if you choose to go down that route. He also publishes instructions online. It's quite an easy job. Albeit I've fitted an Ablemail charger that takes it's equivalent of an ignition feed directly from the main positive feed. So no need to run a separate wire to the lower dash fuse box with this DC DC charger. I believe it just monitors the charge state of the main vehicle battery. When this drops to 12.5v it shuts off from charging the leisure battery.

As per the photo in the original post, does anyone know where I can get a passenger seat-base fuse-holder from? All my connector block thingys are floating around under the seatbase and it’s hurting my OCD.

What seat have you got ? I have a double seat holder with screws you can have for the price of postage

If only few fuses need to be relocated, another OEM solution:
Clips into the main frame and each socket houses 3 fuses. Sorry, don't have part numbers for the socket or crimp fuse connectors. Interested to know though.
Fuse_socket_edited.jpg

I have a couple of the individual fuseholders at the office that click together but they are the larger size ones, think they may be next size up from the ones you have arrowed in the picture

Thanks. Right now it's way too cold to do anything on the van (-15C) :speechless: so probably ask dealer to get me a few for the next summer.

What seat have you got? I have a double seat holder with screws you can have for the price of postage

I’ve got a single seat base - would the double-seat holder fit?

If only few fuses need to be relocated, another OEM solution:
Clips into the main frame and each socket houses 3 fuses. Sorry, don't have part numbers for the socket or crimp fuse connectors. Interested to know though.
View attachment 35246

It’s for these, @mmi -

C4EDC388-DAD4-40D0-8488-FFB5120A0AC8.jpeg

I’ve got a single seat base - would the double-seat holder fit?

No it’s different, I meant the fuse holder anyway not the coupling point thingy, will see if I can find any info/ part number for you

It’s for these, @mmi -
I see your point :D. I think that in my van all those cables/connectors are organized on the left side of the bench. Have a look at picture---> Electrical interface...What is it for? quite a bunch of them around IS1- connectors where is a similar but "2x4 framework" for the plugs as in the original post. (Actually the purple plug is in third row).

I see your point :D. I think that in my van all those cables/connectors are organized on the left side of the bench. Have a look at picture---> Electrical interface...What is it for? quite a bunch of them around IS1- connectors where is a similar but "2x4 framework" for the plugs as in the original post. (Actually the purple plug is in third row).
Sorry if I came across rude - unintended - and thank you for your suggestions.. you are spot-on as usual :thumbsup:
I’ve can see the kind of zero-shaped metal ring where the bracket affixes to, so if I can get the bracket / holder, I’ll be able to tidy up the seat base.

On that note, I’ve come to realise that squeezing in the Ring RSCDC30 and the 110Ah AGM is not going to happen (not on a seat base that has the battery pan, anyhow) so I’m spreading the electrical devices across both seats now. So there goes the underseat sub plan :cry:

Reactions: mmi
Back