Under Passenger Seat Electrics

doodahoops

VIP Member
Hi. I have just taken out the double seat to fit a single and have uncovered factory and other cables.

IMG_1617.jpeg

I wanted to to put my leisure battery and chargers under the single sear… what are the factory cables for and can I move these somewhere else?

Thanks

They are the connection blocks between the front and rear looms in the van.

If you need more space most folks find you can "lose" them in the wiring channels under the floor if you are careful, with the caveat that should you need to get to them for maintenance or diagnostics it's then a seat and battery out job.

How did you get on with moving the factory electrics from under passenger seat, where did you reposition them to?
I’m also trying to work out if I can move all my cables etc over to the drivers seat, as the cables seem to come from the direction of the centre of the cab area. But not taken seats and rubber floor out yet to check
I want to fit a seat base style battery under the passenger factory swivel, iv got a Eberspacher heater mounted internally under the drivers swivel seat, 01B5A839-18DC-401F-97AE-84416DDEF4A1.jpegthere’s room to potentially refit it there

Last edited:
If you look around at pictures folks have shared with the floor up there is a wiring channel to the left and right of the centre, the bulk of the wiring harness comes down the left as most are built as left hand drive. There is also a channel between the seat base areas.

However a good amount of those electrics are coupling points between the front and rear looms, so you also have to consider where they go next and many go up the B pillars.

So for the existing loom wiring I don't think you have much play, but the play there is in the looms to loop up into the carriers in the seat base is usually enough to tuck into the wiring channels in the floor.

If you look around at pictures folks have shared with the floor up there is a wiring channel to the left and right of the centre, the bulk of the wiring harness comes down the left as most are built as left hand drive. There is also a channel between the seat base areas.

However a good amount of those electrics are coupling points between the front and rear looms, so you also have to consider where they go next and many go up the B pillars.

So for the existing loom wiring I don't think you have much play, but the play there is in the looms to loop up into the carriers in the seat base is usually enough to tuck into the wiring channels in the floor.
Thanks for reply, yes iv been trawling all the seat base posts and seen some pics, I’m going to have a proper look at the loom connections over this weekend. I’m going to get a professional to fit my leisure electrics, so just trying to see which style lithium battery I can potentially fit under there, prefer to have a heated one,so looking at the Eco tree 230 seatbase as it’s dimensions are slightly smaller then the Frogstar Seatbase battery

I plan to tuck mine in the top right so still accessible…

IMG_1763.jpeg

I plan to tuck mine in the top right so still accessible…

View attachment 225406
I’m looking to put my Orion in a similar position, but without the battery there as well (I have pipes for the diesel heater where your battery is). Do you have any problems with cooling for the Orion? I’ve heard they run pretty hot. Ta.

Not even turned it on yet so can’t comment at all. However often are you likely to be running the engine and the diesel heater at the same time if you are worried about those combined heats?

Not even turned it on yet so can’t comment at all. However often are you likely to be running the engine and the diesel heater at the same time if you are worried about those combined heats?
Thanks. Not too worried about the heater pipe as I can insulate that and as you say it’s pretty rare both are running at the same time (it would be freezing weather too if I was doing that!). It’s just the heat generated by the Orion itself in a fairly confined space as I’ve heard they run pretty hot.

The Tri-Smarts do have a repuation for runing hot as they are now an older design and less efficient - if you've not bought and not in a hurry it's worth hanging for the replacement model:

@doodahoops if that's your seat base install worth keeping in mind that those cooling fins will only work effectively if there is airflow over them - getting out of the top is mostly fine with the seat gap but you'd want to make sure as much of the wood by them is cut away so cool air can be drawn over them as the hot air rises.

The Tri-Smarts do have a repuation for runing hot as they are now an older design and less efficient - if you've not bought and not in a hurry it's worth hanging for the replacement model:

@doodahoops if that's your seat base install worth keeping in mind that those cooling fins will only work effectively if there is airflow over them - getting out of the top is mostly fine with the seat gap but you'd want to make sure as much of the wood by them is cut away so cool air can be drawn over them as the hot air rises.
Thanks :thumbsup: . Already bought unfortunately. The new units look good but a pretty spendy!

I’ll mount on some perforated aluminium or leave the fins completely clear to help with airflow.

Thanks - will cut some holes in the ply to allow air flow...

Back