Tyre rubbing DANGER!

One of the most obvious visual effects I noticed when I set mine up, was the fact I could see far less of my rear wheels in my mirror. I dread to think how far out they were, but rear tyres were wearing out in around 5000 miles, totally scrubbing out the inside edges. Since we've re-alligned mine, I get around 12-15k from the rears now.

One of the most obvious visual effects I noticed when I set mine up, was the fact I could see far less of my rear wheels in my mirror. I dread to think how far out they were, but rear tyres were wearing out in around 5000 miles, totally scrubbing out the inside edges. Since we've re-alligned mine, I get around 12-15k from the rears now.

That's the odd thing though, my rears have done 19k miles and still have 5mm of tread, although my bus is nearly always 99% empty, except when towing my humongous caravan.

Similar to my wear, slightly worse even?

I also had those scuff marks on the inner wheel arch liners, they are from full lock.

When I had my blow-out, I had new front tyres fitted (same size), Hunter 4 wheel alignment (using @Tourershine settings), but from there on the new tyres rubbed on every little bump in the road, I couldn't work out what had suddenly changed for the tyres to start scuffing.

I took it to the guys who originally fitted my B14's, they thought my fronts needed 5mm spacers to push the wheels away from the inner arches, but as I drove off and hit the first few bumps I heard the tyres scuffing again (not very well road tested obvs), so that was £125 wasted.

So I booked it in with @BognorMotors to give it a proper check over, everything was given a clean bill of health, the arch liners were heated and reshaped and Oli made a very good point about the B14's settling with age, especially on a heavy T32. He suspects the suspension has dropped a few more mm's so with fresh rubber and a bigger drop that's why they were rubbing.

I've done about 1000 miles since and no wear issues at all, I check them weekly now and get down on my knees and have a proper look at the inner edges.

It's worrying to think how many lowered Transporters with big wheels are bombing about with incorrect alignment settings because of these pot holes everywhere.

Edit to say, those tyres looked shot anyway, quite a lot of perishing along the central tread, my tyres still had at least 5mm of tread which was annoying.
What’s this setup that @Tourershine recommended??

The rubbing on the inner arch is caused by full lock turns on uneven ground- if it was rubbing that had caused it to wear out, then the arch liner would wear through first and you would have heard it and smelt it!

It’s very odd while it’s only one tyre and so aggressive - maybe the tyre itself has failed?

Get your alignment checked when replacing to be double sure. On that note have you had your alignment checked in the two years since we fitted it?

The rubbing on the inner arch is caused by full lock turns on uneven ground- if it was rubbing that had caused it to wear out, then the arch liner would wear through first and you would have heard it and smelt it!

It’s very odd while it’s only one tyre and so aggressive - maybe the tyre itself has failed?

Get your alignment checked when replacing to be double sure. On that note have you had your alignment checked in the two years since we fitted it?
No.......:rolleyes: But I will get it rechecked as soon as I order some new tyres!

Last edited:
It really does look like a tyre issue more than anything else. But without a closer look at it I couldn’t be sure.

So as you can see my tires do you have a bit of tread on them before I would need to replace them but over the last couple of days I’ve noticed I’ve had a slow puncture so I took the wheel off to have a look. They are 265/40r 20s on a T32. (Load rated) Bola b22 9” wheels ET43. There has been some rubbing underneath the arches but nothing that I would have thought cause the damage . Thought I was ok. Obviously not!!

View attachment 68493

View attachment 68494

View attachment 68495
Low tyre pressure on a vehicle with a decent amount of camber will do that, chews through them in no time. Either that or the toe is out massively on that corner?

My first thought was how loud was the music not to to hear it rubbingo_O

Similar to my wear, slightly worse even?

I also had those scuff marks on the inner wheel arch liners, they are from full lock.

When I had my blow-out, I had new front tyres fitted (same size), Hunter 4 wheel alignment (using @Tourershine settings), but from there on the new tyres rubbed on every little bump in the road, I couldn't work out what had suddenly changed for the tyres to start scuffing.

I took it to the guys who originally fitted my B14's, they thought my fronts needed 5mm spacers to push the wheels away from the inner arches, but as I drove off and hit the first few bumps I heard the tyres scuffing again (not very well road tested obvs), so that was £125 wasted.

So I booked it in with @BognorMotors to give it a proper check over, everything was given a clean bill of health, the arch liners were heated and reshaped and Oli made a very good point about the B14's settling with age, especially on a heavy T32. He suspects the suspension has dropped a few more mm's so with fresh rubber and a bigger drop that's why they were rubbing.

I've done about 1000 miles since and no wear issues at all, I check them weekly now and get down on my knees and have a proper look at the inner edges.

It's worrying to think how many lowered Transporters with big wheels are bombing about with incorrect alignment settings because of these pot holes everywhere.

Edit to say, those tyres looked shot anyway, quite a lot of perishing along the central tread, my tyres still had at least 5mm of tread which was annoying.
Hi sorry to hijack, so heating and moulding the arch liner helped here?? I ask as mine are catching and stressing me out lol

Back