Tyre rubbing DANGER!

LambethBoy

204 DSG 4Motion
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
So as you can see my tires do you have a bit of tread on them before I would need to replace them but over the last couple of days I’ve noticed I’ve had a slow puncture so I took the wheel off to have a look. They are 265/40r 20s on a T32. (Load rated) Bola b22 9” wheels ET43. There has been some rubbing underneath the arches but nothing that I would have thought cause the damage . Thought I was ok. Obviously not!!

43C854E7-DA1A-4E49-AE97-C12D07EB2273.jpeg

7E3ED1E9-4E49-4140-A528-9877449082C3.jpeg

image.jpg

I don’t think that’s been caused by rubbing. Looks more like an alignment issue (toe?) to me

I think that’s just where it’s worn through first. There’s always a “break through” point

Hmmm just read that thread. Looks that same. I did hit a large pothole a while ago on that side funnily enough. Will have to get it all checked out as I’m not sure if @Insert Coin figured out what it actually was. Not sure if @Tourershine knew?
I did have the whole lot set up by @BognorMotors when they put the bilsteins in back in 2018. Was spot on. I dread going there though.... last time I popped in for a check I ended up leaving with a Revo remap

Last edited:
Tyre bulge from hitting a pot hole?

Then worn at that point because the tolerances are quite small already, a small bulge would be enough.

Had this on other cars but heard it catching before it got as bad.

Tyres are made to exacting standards, they should not have a “break through point” at one part of the circumference, unless there is another influence, such as it not being centred on the rim, a flat spot caused by skidding, a binding brake calliper/drum or damage causing a bulge.

That doesn’t look like an alignment problem to me, that’s been caused by rubbing. In your third picture you can see the arch liner has significant rubbing marks. The wear is on the side wall of the tyre, consistent with the marks on the liner.

I would agree with @Jack T that the pot hole has caused some damage resulting in a bulge that has been rubbing more than the rest of the tyre.

Once it’s replaced I would get the alignment done anyway, but if you hear any more rubbing get a heat gun in there and push the liner out of the way a bit.

That doesn’t look like an alignment problem to me, that’s been caused by rubbing. In your third picture you can see the arch liner has significant rubbing marks. The wear is on the side wall of the tyre, consistent with the marks on the liner.

I would agree with @Jack T that the pot hole has caused some damage resulting in a bulge that has been rubbing more than the rest of the tyre.

Once it’s replaced I would get the alignment done anyway, but if you hear any more rubbing get a heat gun in there and push the liner out of the way a bit.

I thought rubbing at first but the other side is fine and the arches on that side have rubbing marks as well. If anything the the rubbing is worse on The other side but the tire is absolutely fine. Confused.

Last edited:
It looks to me as though the rub marks on the wheel arch liner were caused at full lock, you don't drive on full lock enough to wear the tyre in the way it appears, so I'm going with tracking as in the previous similar thread.

Similar to my wear, slightly worse even?

I also had those scuff marks on the inner wheel arch liners, they are from full lock.

When I had my blow-out, I had new front tyres fitted (same size), Hunter 4 wheel alignment (using @Tourershine settings), but from there on the new tyres rubbed on every little bump in the road, I couldn't work out what had suddenly changed for the tyres to start scuffing.

I took it to the guys who originally fitted my B14's, they thought my fronts needed 5mm spacers to push the wheels away from the inner arches, but as I drove off and hit the first few bumps I heard the tyres scuffing again (not very well road tested obvs), so that was £125 wasted.

So I booked it in with @BognorMotors to give it a proper check over, everything was given a clean bill of health, the arch liners were heated and reshaped and Oli made a very good point about the B14's settling with age, especially on a heavy T32. He suspects the suspension has dropped a few more mm's so with fresh rubber and a bigger drop that's why they were rubbing.

I've done about 1000 miles since and no wear issues at all, I check them weekly now and get down on my knees and have a proper look at the inner edges.

It's worrying to think how many lowered Transporters with big wheels are bombing about with incorrect alignment settings because of these pot holes everywhere.

Edit to say, those tyres looked shot anyway, quite a lot of perishing along the central tread, my tyres still had at least 5mm of tread which was annoying.

Similar to my wear, slightly worse even?

I also had those scuff marks on the inner wheel arch liners, they are from full lock.

When I had my blow-out, I had new front tyres fitted (same size), Hunter 4 wheel alignment (using @Tourershine settings), but from there on the new tyres rubbed on every little bump in the road, I couldn't work out what had suddenly changed for the tyres to start scuffing.

I took it to the guys who originally fitted my B14's, they thought my fronts needed 5mm spacers to push the wheels away from the inner arches, but as I drove off and hit the first few bumps I heard the tyres scuffing again (not very well road tested obvs), so that was £125 wasted.

So I booked it in with @BognorMotors to give it a proper check over, everything was given a clean bill of health, the arch liners were heated and reshaped and Oli made a very good point about the B14's settling with age, especially on a heavy T32. He suspects the suspension has dropped a few more mm's so with fresh rubber and a bigger drop that's why they were rubbing.

I've done about 1000 miles since and no wear issues at all, I check them weekly now and get down on my knees and have a proper look at the inner edges.

It's worrying to think how many lowered Transporters with big wheels are bombing about with incorrect alignment settings because of these pot holes everywhere.

Edit to say, those tyres looked shot anyway, quite a lot of perishing along the central tread, my tyres still had at least 5mm of tread which was annoying.
Did you have the wear issue on both sides? I can’t understand why one side is perfectly fine yet that tyre is buggered!?

Did you have the wear issue on both sides? I can’t understand why one side is perfectly fine yet that tyre is buggered!?

Yeah, both sides on mine, you may have twisted/bent something on one side when you clonked the pothole. Get Bognor to check it over, it will give you peace of mind to know everything is spot-on.

Back