Tyre pressure 235/50/18

lambo

Industrial Designer
T6 Pro
Cannot find this combo, apologies if I missed it.
Dealer cannot be bothered to advise (they swapped them out for the Claytons), anyone know?

Label in van has same pressure for these 2
235/55 R17 103H
255/45 R18 103 H
at 36 unladen, 48 laden

Mine are 235/50 101W

Any offers - there seems to be a big variation depending on tyres?...

I'm going to say it... (Then run and hide)

101 Rating for a T30? Thought 102 was the minimum?

Reactions: JOG
I'm going to say it... (Then run and hide)

101 Rating for a T30? Thought 102 was the minimum?

Take the heaviest axle from the table below and divide it by 2

Capture.JPG

Capture 1.JPG

Tyre rating of
100 = 800kg
101 = 825kg
102 = 850kg
103 = 875kg

Axle weights

T28 = 1550/1550kg = take the heaviest axle 1550/2 = 775kg = 101
T30 = 1600/1625kg = 1625/2 = 812.5kg = 101
T32 = 1710/1720kg = 1720/2 = 860kg = 103

Yes I saw that when I looked it up. But then I thought it’s literally a few kilos and the chances of me getting close to full payload are vanishingly small. Slightly miffed at the garage none the less. I specifically asked for the correct full load rating.

Yes I saw that when I looked it up. But then I thought it’s literally a few kilos and the chances of me getting close to full payload are vanishingly small. Slightly miffed at the garage none the less. I specifically asked for the correct full load rating.

As long as your not T32 they are sufficiently load rated though?
Thats the size I'd be running in 18's instead of the 255/45...

You’ve got the correct load rated tyres

Hi everyone. I'm new here and already finding the Forum amazingly helpful!

Im getting Continental 235/50/R18 wheels fitted this week (101/825kg load rating suitable for my T30) and my VW dealer is not providing me with tyre pressure information. Does anyone know where i can get this information? I can get the Maximum tyre pressure info off the tyres themselves but not the 'ideal' pressure. Also should the front wheels be a different pressure to the back?

Ultimately my T30 is going to be converted into a camper early next year so I'd say the ultimate carry load will end up being about medium for the van. Does that affect the pressure on the tyres?

Thanks in advance!

Any good tyre dealer should be more of a help….but if your converting the van and added a lot of extra weight you might want to reconsider the load rating and go for higher load rated tyre ….then your be looking to possibly up-rate the suspension for better ride comfort ….I’d speck to the converter ( unless it’s a self build ) regarding the extra weight …Until you know exactly where the van will be once converted it’s difficult to give tyre pressure that are ok …. Safety First

Ps …in your calculations for medium range…does this include the family/ Dog /camping gear /bikes on the back and the kitchen sink

Any good tyre dealer should be more of a help….but if your converting the van and added a lot of extra weight you might want to reconsider the load rating and go for higher load rated tyre ….then your be looking to possibly up-rate the suspension for better ride comfort ….I’d speck to the converter ( unless it’s a self build ) regarding the extra weight …Until you know exactly where the van will be once converted it’s difficult to give tyre pressure that are ok …. Safety First

Ps …in your calculations for medium range…does this include the family/ Dog /camping gear /bikes on the back and the kitchen sin
255 45 18 on the VW sticker... will look sexier!View attachment 133173
Thanks! Yeah have made the decision to switch to the 255/45/18’s.

I didn't want to sound like a Jobsworth but the 255 45 will look squatter, not a rubber band but less blobby than a tall sidewall and we all want to look too cool for school!

I run 235/50r18 on my half laden work van.
I've just replaced a set of Goodyears and they were down to the markers in the centre of the tread with considerably more left at the edges.

I ran these tyres at 42psi, which was obviously to high causing the above wear.

My new tyres are now set a 38psi and I'll see how it goes.

I run 235/50r18 on my half laden work van.
I've just replaced a set of Goodyears and they were down to the markers in the centre of the tread with considerably more left at the edges.

I ran these tyres at 42psi, which was obviously to high causing the above wear.

My new tyres are now set a 38psi and I'll see how it goes.
Thanks yeah I read 42psi is usually the maximum pressure you can put on 235/50/18’s.

As I’m converting my T30 to a camper, it seems to make more sense to allow for the greater load and go for the 255/45/18’s. With those tyres it means I don’t need to max out the pressure on the tyres to achieve the same load capacity. Otherwise I could get the same issues you experienced if I went with the 235/50’s.

I have a VW T5.1 T28 full camper conversion. The tyres are 235/50ZR18 101W. Just wondering what the tyres pressures should be if anyone has an idea?

Cheers

Back