Tyre hum or wheel bearing...

The Bear78

145 000 miles and just broken in!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Evening all.
My 2016 LWB T32 has had an annoying hum from the rear since I purchased it last year (and probably earlier...).
I noticed on the long drive home but wasn't too concerned as a hum from the rear can only really be tyre or wheel bearing related. With new alloys on the list of mods I decided I could live with it for the time being .
Recently however the hum has developed a distinct noise at exactly 65mph where, I assume, it hits that resonant frequency sweet spot.
I decided to carry out some fault diagnosis and set about swapping the front and rear tyres over to try and pin point the source. I didn't get far before I noticed this.....20200712_104014.jpg
Both rears are similar with about 6 areas around the circumference. Also, more obvious from the shot below, the inner edge (farthest from camera) has wedge like wear reminiscent of the kerbs on a race track.
I didn't bother putting them on the front....
20200402_170826.jpg

20200402_170816.jpg

I had similar noise on my Skoda Superb - I swapped front to back but the noise remained and with my dodgy hearing it just sounded the same.

New tyres sorted it - I had several sets of tyres but only happened on that one set of rears.

Good spot !!

Ian

The tyre looks worn out anyway, I don't mean illegal, but certainly well on the way.

Those Goodyear cargo vectors are a noisy tyre at the best of times, I’ve found them very hard wearing though.

Reactions: DXX
Thank you all.
Yes, they're on their way and even sooner now!
There seems to be a variety of issues with it. I wonder if hard (T32) suspension and generally light loading is allowing the tyre to bounce and skip a little.
So, what are the recommendations for 215/60/17 103? TBH, noise is one of my biggest issues.

Thank you all.
Yes, they're on their way and even sooner now!
There seems to be a variety of issues with it. I wonder if hard (T32) suspension and generally light loading is allowing the tyre to bounce and skip a little.
So, what are the recommendations for 215/60/17 103? TBH, noise is one of my biggest issues.
Sound deaden the wheel arches and liners, the liners making the biggest difference IMO.

Feathered, can be caused by lack of weight at the rear allowing the tyre to oscillate. A change of dampers can help it or let the pressures down a bit. but those are beyond repair.

Back