TSi: uprated clutch

Gavin

I’m wondering what’s the most power anyone has got from a manual TSI? I previously had a DSG with around 320bhp, I’ve recently bought a manual one and will have new helix organic clutch, downpipe and intercooler fitted in the coming days.

Further plans are to add a TTE450 and look at an intake rather than just a panel filter.

Hi @Gavin you will be more than aware they are good for over 300hp with just a starge 1 remap alone but It sounds like you have plans beyond 300...
I have a TSI with stage 1 pendle but it's a DSG. Not sure if anyone on here has a tuned manual TSI but if there is I'm sure they will be along shortly. I can't comment on the manual box in terms of reliability after power increase but I doubt it would cause any major issues.

How come the swap from DSG? If you don't mind me asking.

@coullstar have you changed the clutch? As soon as I bought mine I stage 1 tuned it and the clutch didn’t cope.

@Gazbadge I sold my Kombi DSG in 2019 after owning it for 18 months. It held its value in that time and I sold it for more than I paid for it new. Financially it made sense and I bought a crafter that we build an air suspension kit for.

I missed it that much that I bought a 150 panel van few weeks ago and plan to keep it as such, but aiming for the 400bhp + mark.

I have stock clutch, it was on less than 10k miles. I also got the Revo map that was more progressive to help with this. They guy doing it said there was 2 slight variations and I opted for that one for longevity. Mine doesnt get too much of a hard time and isnt loaded up 99% of the time.

Trying to get the power down cleanly will be the biggest issue, you need to source a European TSi with 4-Motion or get your bus converted to 4-Mo but it’s big £’s.

4motion retro fit would be the ideal way to go.
I got the Helix clutch finished last night and so far so good. No vibrations at all and seems much stronger than before without being too heavy on the foot. Just need to discipline myself to get it bed in before we add more power again.

4motion retro fit would be the ideal way to go.
I got the Helix clutch finished last night and so far so good. No vibrations at all and seems much stronger than before without being too heavy on the foot. Just need to discipline myself to get it bed in before we add more power again.

There's only one TSi in the UK that's had the 4-Motion retro fitted to it, something in the region of £10k in OEM parts and labour and a fair bit of trial and error.

Kartechnic in Poole - BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW & Audi Repair & Servicing in Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire and Somerset - Kartechnic

There's only one TSi in the UK that's had the 4-Motion retro fitted to it, something in the region of £10k in OEM parts and labour and a fair bit of trial and error.

Kartechnic in Poole - BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW & Audi Repair & Servicing in Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire and Somerset - Kartechnic
I’ve often pondered this. I wanted 4motion, but also petrol and the compromise (in UK) was to forego the 4motion.
So what is the cheapest option to get a UK 4motion TSI?
1. Retrofit 4motion to a UK TSI
2. Swap out the TDI for a TSI in a UK 4motion
or
3. Buy an EU 4motion TSI and convert it to RHD?

Interesting thread, I've got a manual TSi with a Pendle map, 24000 miles on the map, original clutch, a lot of those miles fully loaded as a camper or towing a caravan, I have wondered about the clutch but it has been just fine so far. For the future what was the cost of the Helix clutch and which was it, can't see it in their catalogue for the Transporter.

I bought it through AKS tuning and I’ve gone for the organic friction plate. I put 300 miles on it before trying software again, and it seems to be holding well. Haven’t tried launching it or hard shifts yet, but it’s taking the power much better. Forgot how mental quick these vans become!

I bought it through AKS tuning and I’ve gone for the organic friction plate. I put 300 miles on it before trying software again, and it seems to be holding well. Haven’t tried launching it or hard shifts yet, but it’s taking the power much better. Forgot how mental quick these vans become!
How are you getting on with the helix clutch I have seen Sachs have a performance one but ill be interested to know how your getting on with yours. Any info is kindly welcome

I’ve got a TSI with a sach organic clutch 317 bhp at the minute and looking at the tte450 in the future
The clutch is very on off to drive and a righ5 ball ache especially in traffic jams
But this was the price to pay for increased power
Iam now getting a slight gear backlash noise which has only appeared since the clutch was changed
Any way can’t wait for the new turbo when I’ve saved some pennies up !!

I’ve got a TSI with a sach organic clutch 317 bhp at the minute and looking at the tte450 in the future
The clutch is very on off to drive and a righ5 ball ache especially in traffic jams
But this was the price to pay for increased power
Iam now getting a slight gear backlash noise which has only appeared since the clutch was changed
Any way can’t wait for the new turbo when I’ve saved some pennies up !!
I have just installed the helix clutch kit and new Sachs fw. The clutch is heavy but told once bedding in had been dobe with use it should free up a little and handle stage 3 with ease
. What does the tte 450 do reliable wise and what supporting mods are needed. Thanks

I have just installed the helix clutch kit and new Sachs fw. The clutch is heavy but told once bedding in had been dobe with use it should free up a little and handle stage 3 with ease
. What does the tte 450 do reliable wise and what supporting mods are needed. Thanks
Hi, how’s the clutch now, had my tsi mapped a couple Of weeks ago and now it slips when it comes on boost so Going to have to upgrade, did you change any other parts or just the clutch and flywheel, anyone else with a remapped tsi manual would love to here your experiences.

Thanks
Jon

Hi, how’s the clutch now, had my tsi mapped a couple Of weeks ago and now it slips when it comes on boost so Going to have to upgrade, did you change any other parts or just the clutch and flywheel, anyone else with a remapped tsi manual would love to here your experiences.

Thanks
Jon
I bought the kit from aks and they were great in the phone. Helix clutch kit and a Sachs flywheel. Mine had only done 25k and possibly didn't need a flywheel but I wasn't taking it out again so did the flywheel aswell.
Things to take into account,
Juddering is quite bad at first but not to worry it does get better quite quickly the more you use it. Bedding in is 500miles.
The clutch pedal is heavy so won't be great in traffic straight away, I have had mine in around 3 weeks now and I would say it had softened up a little (or my left leg is stronger )

My Overall opinion is it's good and I have zero worries about it slipping again.

Back