Trouble turning over

Yeah my meter only has a single (auto) amp measurement scale, I don't really think the unit is accurate enough to be taken as a true reading, it does flicker to 0.0 intermittently also. This was why I tried (unsuccessfully) using the multimeter, I've ordered some replacement fuses so will try again. Maybe disconnect battery, bridge with a jump lead, attach meter then remove jump lead. I think this should prevent any spike which would blow the fuse but also allow me to leave the van locked as the alarm shouldn't sound?
Looks like the culprit is not the parasitic drain - as it flickers down to 0.00.
Agreed with what @DaveD mentioned that parasitic drain would rather cause "long term" issues.

Before your fuses arrive if you want to experiment, you can "amplify" the current by looping a cable around the clamp. 3 rounds = triples the reading, etc.
1587294793306.png
In case you're planning to keep your van and do things by yourself - VCDS diagnostic tool besides just reading fault codes, it takes advantage of van's own sensors to monitor what's going on under the bonnet. E.g. see some related graphs ---> Which Jump Starter?

PS. I suspect there would be helpful information in van's fault memory. Even a Carista would help reading those.

Looks like the culprit is not the parasitic drain - as it flickers down to 0.00.
Agreed with what @DaveD mentioned that parasitic drain would rather cause "long term" issues.

Before your fuses arrive if you want to experiment, you can "amplify" the current by looping a cable around the clamp. 3 rounds = triples the reading, etc.

In case you're planning to keep your van and do things by yourself - VCDS diagnostic tool besides just reading fault codes, it takes advantage of van's own sensors to monitor what's going on under the bonnet. E.g. see some related graphs ---> Which Jump Starter?

PS. I suspect there would be helpful information in van's fault memory. Even a Carista would help reading those.

I think I'll wait for the fuses and try again seeing as I've ordered them now, the cable isn't long enough to coil and I don't have any suitable cable to temporarily replace it with

I may purchase a Carista but think VCDS might be a bit much, "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" springs to mind when I think of me trying to use that!

Thanks for the help and insights, when I finally get to the bottom of it I will be sure to update the post!

I may purchase a Carista but think VCDS might be a bit much, "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" springs to mind when I think of me trying to use that!
Something to consider between Carista and VCDS is OBDeleven. Pricewise it's initially a bit more (about 100€) but no annual/monthly fees. Coding/adaptation capabilities are identical to VCDS. Plus it's also supported by a few individuals of the Forum :whistle:. And no, I'm not connected to any of the above.

Anyways, the update will be appreciated!:thumbsup:

Hi all

I have had an ongoing issue with my van struggling to turn over, this all started towards the end of last year when I went on holiday for 2 weeks. When I returned I started the van and although it started it struggled turning over, I didn't think a lot of it as the van had been stood, after charging the battery it seemed to be ok. A few days later exactly the same.

As the van was still under warranty (66 plate 150bhp model) I took it to VW commercial, they tested the battery (Varta), tested the van overnight for power drains and checked the alternator charge, all came back ok. They did say they had found some corrosion on a terminal which had been put right. A week later exactly the same! After backwards and forwards a few times with VW I gave up with them and took it to a local garage, they said there may be an issue with the battery but couldn't say for sure, I opted to have a new battery which seemed fine. A week later ARGHH the same again!!

The van does have a camper conversion with a CTEK 250 split charger and leisure battery but none of this was connected when the problems started.

The van doesn't get used day to day and does sit for fairly long periods, the strange thing is that when I have been out in the van and stop the engine such as going shopping it sometimes struggles more than when it first starts?? On occasions when the start/stop has kicked in the van has almost not started.

Has anyone had any experience of this or have any idea of what may be causing this? I have thought it may be an issue with the starter motor but don't want to just keep throwing money at new parts.

Thanks
Hi Jambono.

I was wondering what the outcome was with your problem?. My 68 plate t6 has had exactly the same problem as you described for more than a year. Earlier this year i replaced the battery which helped for a while but the problem is getting worse again.

Cheers

Back