Trims and steps after lining

I think it's going to be close, will be tight on a kombi step but think a caravelle step will sit a bit high over ply

Nowhere specifically mentioned you had to use 12mm floor, so I bought a ply line kit for a T6 SWB with dual side step. Didn't take much notice of the floor size. As for the different lengths / cut, this has really got my goat! To long can be trimmed down, but too short and tough cookie!! Anker points are the wrong shape so circular holes need cutting in.

Nowhere specifies you need new side steps either. Would be useful to know which step gives what heights from metal van floor to underneath step lip.

There is no explanation how and why we place 6mm battens, I now understand it is to level the floor? The battens are glued with sika flex to the silent coat. The battens are then used to screw the 12mm floor to, this saves screwing to the van itself.

Grrrrr fed up now.

I always thought the Kombi step was 10mm ish taller than a panel van step (to allow kombi rubber flooring) and the Caravelle step was approx 12mm taller than kombi so 22mm ish taller than a panel van one ??
Anyone can confirm this ?

Not saying my opinion is anything more than just that. Mine is a work van but I'm keeping it for probably five years and want it to be as comfortable and tidy looking as I can.
Nowhere specifically mentioned you had to use 12mm floor, so I bought a ply line kit for a T6 SWB with dual side step. Didn't take much notice of the floor size. As for the different lengths / cut, this has really got my goat! To long can be trimmed down, but too short and tough cookie!! Anker points are the wrong shape so circular holes need cutting in.
A 9mm floor will work fine, I picked 12mm as it will likely give a little less and feal more solid for minimal extra cost, no anker points in the one I picked though.

Nowhere specifies you need new side steps either. Would be useful to know which step gives what heights from metal van floor to underneath step lip .
In a Kombi or conversion the new steps tidy the edges, see my pic ablove with the edge of the ply exposed however that's how my old van was and it was fine, this is my "posh" van so I want new steps to finish it off better.

There is no explanation how and why we place 6mm battens, I now understand it is to level the floor? The battens are glued with sika flex to the silent coat. The battens are then used to screw the 12mm floor to, this saves screwing to the van itself.
I used 9mm battens which are the same height as the ribs in the floor glued directly to the floor. Purely to save screwing through the floor to hold it down (old van was screwed to the floor), This one is screwed to the battens. I added 2mm Dodomat between the battens because I had some from doing the sides and doors, but it still seems to be around the same height as the floor/battens. The Tecsound barrier is probably overkill but the overall effect is subjectively a lot quieter having done a few miles yesterday so pleased with my efforts and when the time comes to move the van on, it could well find home with someone that wants to convert it so should be of higher interest than one not done.

Been looking around for the answer to which side step covers fits, found these snippets

The Kombi step is 9mm taller than the standard van step and works very well with 12mm ply flooring covered in vinyl placed directly on the metal van floor.

and a Caravelle quote

These are around 20mm deeper than the traditional Kombi steps or 45mm deeper than a standard van one, so don't be fooled thinking you can use your existing steps when fitting Caravelle rails. A Caravelle is much higher than a normal Transporter Floor hence the need for different side steps.

Don't know what to do with my 18mm more than a standard van though...

Looks like my kombi steps are fine for 2mm silent coat, 9mm infills, 9mm floor, 2mm vinyl / Altro.
Where are the measuring points on these steps?

Also, does the rear threshold cover have any issues?

Ok, just been reading this thread again as Im now up to the stage where I need to order the floor.

Here is where I am at.

I have:

9mm batons on the floor. (Silent coat between batons so not contributing to height)
5mm underfloor insulation
2mm Altro flooring

With 12mm ply floor total height = 28mm
With 9mm ply floor total height = 25mm.

So I struggling with which ply floor and which steps will work best. Anyone shed some insight please.

@Skyliner33 if you hang on 2 months till I get back in uk you can have my Kombi side steps twin sliders to go with the rear threshold they should be deep enough depending on what floor you go with. Kombi step is 9mm taller than the standard van step you have and works with 12mm ply flooring covered in vinyl placed directly on the metal van floor. As you know I got rails in I will be replacing with Caravelle steps.

Kombi step is 25mm ... 9mm batons + 12mm ply floor + 3mm floor I think was my old t5? I’ve had a chew on with steps and thresholds with my new van so have every step apart from a Cali step to try here’s where I’m atm

View attachment 34975

2F4EF1F6-EE9E-4408-AD75-133501EE2181.jpeg

Ok, just been reading this thread again as Im now up to the stage where I need to order the floor.

Here is where I am at.

I have:

9mm batons on the floor. (Silent coat between batons so not contributing to height)
5mm underfloor insulation
2mm Altro flooring

With 12mm ply floor total height = 28mm
With 9mm ply floor total height = 25mm.

So I struggling with which ply floor and which steps will work best. Anyone shed some insight please.
@Skyliner33 - resurrecting the thread, what did you end up doing? I was looking at fitting Dodomat Duo (6.8mm) on top of 6mm batons to give some space to squeeze down, then 9mm ply and 2mm Altro.
When it arrives it’ll be a kombi and all my searches go round in circles with no sure answers.
Cheers

@Skyliner33 - resurrecting the thread, what did you end up doing? I was looking at fitting Dodomat Duo (6.8mm) on top of 6mm batons to give some space to squeeze down, then 9mm ply and 2mm Altro.
When it arrives it’ll be a kombi and all my searches go round in circles with no sure answers.
Cheers
Hi, i ended up selling the ply floor and fitting caravelle rails and seats and an OEM caravelle floor. Sorry that doesnt hepp lol much.

Soo I just covered everything in Dodomat duo, battens and ridged flooring together, and now realise I should ideally have only added the insulation between the ridges.

Any advice from the community here on whether to try to cut the insulation off the battens (could be messy job?) or just push ahead and fixed my (9mm, three piece) ply sub floor? I'm thinking to use cork tiles on top of the ply.

IMG_3939.jpeg IMG_3955.jpeg

Obv thinking about:
1. whether the ply floor will feel stable enough
2. whether the height of the subfloor will be too much

Presumably an alternative to replacing the step to trim the floor edge is simply to add some other kind of trim to the flooring and leave the step.

Thanks!

Back