Trims and steps after lining

Diesel9a1

T6 Pro
So when you silent coat the floor, lay battens inbetween the ridges, some thermal insulation(?), then ply flooring and finally 2mm Altro, this floor height is less than the manufacturers rubber flooring. How do you finish the side door steps, the cab to rear flooring edging, rear tailgate threshold trim.....??

The same goes for all the other bits of trim in the panels such as door handles, window rubbers etc etc.

Any photos or blogs that detail this important part of the process? There must be as people pull it all off very successfully, I just can't think figure it out at present.

Depends on thickness of flooring but caravelle side steps and rear threshold strip are slightly deeper to accomodate thicker flooring

2mm silent coat
2mm insulation
6mm ply
2mm Altro

12mm total thickness

Standard floor mat is 18mm at the side steps. This gives a 4mm gap between the plastic step trim and the top of the Altro.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Sorry didn't read it properly thought you were higher not lower, wouldn't it be easier to adjust the size of wood work (top or underneath) to make it the same size ?

I don't know, I just see lots of floors being done and wondered how they did it with the dimensions I've given. Are there shallower steps, or can I trim bits off of the steps etc? How are all these floors done?

I'm planning on using 12mm ply below the altro, I thought that was the norm?

To clarify 9mm battons between the ridges and then 12mm ply on top followed by altro

What flooring insulation do you all use?
I take it it is silent coat, then battens, then insulation, then ply board, all screwed to metal floor, then Altro glued somehow to the ply floor?

What flooring insulation do you all use?
I take it it is silent coat, then battens, then insulation, then ply board, all screwed to metal floor, then Altro glued somehow to the ply floor?
My plan is 9mm battons directly onto the van to ensure a bond with the adhesive. Then silent coat in between the battons. Then screw the ply floor down. Finally the altro but not planning on gluing it down as the furniture will be on top along one side, my rib will be on top and it will be tucked under the kombi step and rear threshold. I just don't see it being able to move anywhere. Not planning on insulating the floor

Why do we put battens in the gaps? Surely the floor is already level?
What insulation goes in the gaps between the battens or over the lot?
Is it that stuff that goes under laminate flooring? Or maybe dodo 6mm liner with sticky on the back?

You put 9mm battens in the ribs so you can screw your 12mm to it, you don't want to be screwing into your van floor

What glue do people recommend? I wasnt planning on gluing mine as I thought it would be held down fine with everything on top of it but now im thinking maybe I should

In our bay we have plain old lino that has been down for years unglued no problems and Altro looks a lot stiffer than the stuff we used. Isn't there an advantage in being able to remove the floor if the worst came to the worst?

The panel van ply kit that was sent to me has 9mm flooring, is this too thin?

Also, is the small bit on the left or right side of the kombi van? If on the left, then you get half a seat hole on the small section and the other half on the large section.

ALSO..... the length isn't right for the trims, see attached photos.

20170405_164808.jpg 20170405_164836.jpg

Last edited:
The front one looks OK to me as I thought it should stop at the cab mat? But the rear is def not right. 9mm isnt great either, was it advertised as 12?

Back