Trickle-Charging battery via Solar

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
My T6 is garaged and I will only be using it once a month for trips so I am looking at a simple way of keeping the main battery topped up. There is just the standard current draw when parked up from the vans systems in standby..

From searching this topic on here the best way seems to be a smallish panel ~ 20W/25W with a dedicated controller.... Something like this one I think....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/joyMerit-F...harger+for+car+battery&qid=1576961122&sr=8-97

My question is I want to trickle charge through the 12v socket, but I have 2 x 12v sockets... One on top of the dash near the centre tray and one nearer the gear lever... Lower down.. like a cigarette lighter.

Does it matter which one or can I use either....?

If it’s a standard vehicle with only one battery then you can use either

Thanks @Pauly for clearing that up... its due for a camper conversion next month.

But I will have additional 12V sockets off the leisure batteries behind the drivers seat and in the rear, so these two original 12V sockets will remain off the starter battery. I just wasn't sure if only one was usable for trickle charging with ignition off.. Thanks for the reply..!

We done the same thing.

As above both sockets fed from the starter battery..... but if you had a factory aux battery the top socket would be fed from the aux battery.

We used a small 50w foldable panel and a PWM controller with a 12v socket on the end.......

Thing is this time of year the solar yield is very low.

Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Back