Connecting a solar panel to starter battery whilst leaving van for 4 weeks

Pedro20001

Auto assembly technician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, I am going abroad for 4 weeks and have to leave the van at work, I have got a smallish solar panel with controller to trickle charge the starter battery with crocodile clips. The van has a tracker and aftermarket immobilizer fitted so wanted to try and counter any current draw. My question is is it ok to go straight the battery terminals direct? I know how sensitive these vans can be :) thanks in advance

Hi all, I am going abroad for 4 weeks and have to leave the van at work, I have got a smallish solar panel with controller to trickle charge the starter battery with crocodile clips. The van has a tracker and aftermarket immobilizer fitted so wanted to try and counter any current draw. My question is is it ok to go straight the battery terminals direct? I know how sensitive these vans can be :) thanks in advance
Go to the battery +ve & a body earth.

Just out of curiosity is the 12v socket permanent or on a timer, just wondering whether to use the cigarette adapter or the crocodile clips to the battery? Would test myself but on a very tight schedule this weekend :)

OEM 12v sockets should be live all the time, the only question is do you have a single or twin battery.

OEM the socket by the gear lever should be both always live and connected to the starter battery so try there first. That way your panel stays nice and safe inside.

If you are single battery then you may find the top of dash socket more convenient.

Thanks, it's a single battery. Would be a lot more convenient than under the bonnet :thumbsup:

Back