Transporter Or Caravelle???

Rob The Daddy

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year!

I'm a complete rookie to VW, and what steered me to it; was the fact that Wife has recently got herself a Golf, after bouncing through the ranks 'over the years' from a Polo, down to an Up .....an Up (again)...and then Golf.

We love our weekend road trips to various friends and family in the UK, and with a toddler, I am looking at either the SWB Transporter or Caravelle; sometimes with the In-Laws in tow. In our current vehicle, the Wife sometimes gets into the back to keep the baby company, so in the first instance the Caravelle seems to me to be the preferred option as it looks like there is a 'lounge in the back' :).

The only notable observation I have is space for storage (bags etc), which to me swings it back to the Transporter.

I awork as a Student Landlord and sometimes I have to make those fateful trips to Ikea to get the occasional wardrobe flat pack in etc. Whilst I do have a small van for work, I'd be looking to sell it to get one of the above.

I have spotted both models in my radar; and probs looking to take things seriously approaching the end of March.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Regards. Rob

I agree with @Fish. Go with a velle because if you get a kombi you’re only gonna want to have a velle rear floor and seat conversion

From a space point of view, they will all be much the same. as said, the Caravelle is the most luxurious option but it will be more expensive. I was in a similar situation and ended up getting a camper converted panel van (but without all the timberwork that is traditional in campers). I have a vehicle that can seat 6, a kitchen pod with ability to do the washing up, make a cuppa or microwave a snack, it has a small fridge which is handy. it can provide spacious overnight accommodation as the bed is full width) and plenty of room to transport 'stuff' (and with the seat in bed mode, can handle long ikea boxes!).

s-l1600 (7).jpg

Thanks Everyone! I'm going to keep reading this thread 'until the time comes' to make a decision! All your replies are as merited as the other, which makes it tricky to decide at this stage. Ha Ha! Thanks again :)

I’m new to this forum too, I had exactly the same question as the OP. I ended up going for a Transporter Shuttle, an equivalent age/miles Caravelle was over £5k more. Though I love the flexibility and comfort of the Caravelle the extra money made the decision for me!!

what I really needed was the extra space and the Shuttle gives me this. I’ll see how we get on with it, who knows I may end up changing to a Caravelle in the future!!

I’m new to this forum too, I had exactly the same question as the OP. I ended up going for a Transporter Shuttle, an equivalent age/miles Caravelle was over £5k more. Though I love the flexibility and comfort of the Caravelle the extra money made the decision for me!!

what I really needed was the extra space and the Shuttle gives me this. I’ll see how we get on with it, who knows I may end up changing to a Caravelle in the future!!

"At the moment", I am starring towards a Kombi Transporter; as my main thing for me is bag storage. Let me know how you get on with your Shuttle! All the best. Rob

Hi there. I'm researching Shuttles as well now. Just wondered if the third back row of seats were removable? :)

Hi Everyone. I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a Shuttle! Many thanks for the thread. I'll take some pics once I get it.

Hi,
I think finance is a key matter.... and secondly depends on what you want.
Like you I had been looking for a while and settled with a Caravelle T6 2015 because of the flexibility.
There are lots of options with the seats to suit the family of 4. I have slid the rear seat all the way up to the single seats to get stuff. Also put all the seats flat as a bed to carry stuff. Can also remove the two single seats and table in the back and slide the rear seat all the way up for a kombi style.

just had it lowered with B14s and ARB by #bognormotors and rides lovely.

EA360522-749F-428F-B233-D55C632CBD8D.jpeg

Back