Trailer question

Garyf123

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, i have just purchased a second hand Brenderlup 1150S camping trailer. I am unsure about the breakaway chain that is fitted to it though. It is quite heave duty and consists of 2 separate galvanized chains with spring loaded catches on ends but they seem too short to connect to anything on the van. What are they supposed to attach to and should i be looking to purchase an addition chain?
Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Hi, i have just purchased a second hand Brenderlup 1150S camping trailer. I am unsure about the breakaway chain that is fitted to it though. It is quite heave duty and consists of 2 separate galvanized chains with spring loaded catches on ends but they seem too short to connect to anything on the van. What are they supposed to attach to and should i be looking to purchase an addition chain?
Many thanks in advance,

Gary.
Assuming the trailer is un-braked, the chains should attach to a strong point on the rear of the van. Either the towing eye, or there may be an anchor point on the tow bar, depending on the make.

Failing that, you can link the two ends together and put them over the top of the towball which is a suitable secondary point in the event the hitch fails.

If those chains are a bit chunky you can buy a much simpler galvanised steel rope breakaway loop that is very simple and makes you compliant with the regs. These come as standard on lots of unbraked trailers such as Anssems.

Failing that, you can link the two ends together and put them over the top of the towball which is a suitable secondary point in the event the hitch fails.

If those chains are a bit chunky you can buy a much simpler galvanised steel rope breakaway loop that is very simple and makes you compliant with the regs. These come as standard on lots of unbraked trailers such as Anssems.
Personally I wouldn’t put it over the towball. On an unbraked trailer, the chains are designed to keep the trailer attached to the vehicle in the event of a towball/hitch failure, If the hitch fails you can’t rely on the chain not bouncing off the towball if it’s just looped over. Likewise if the towball becomes detached from the vehicle. A “breakaway” cable is just that, it’s designed for braked trailers. If the hitch fails on a braked trailer the breakaway cable activates the trailer brakes & then snaps, hopefully leaving the trailer stationary. You don’t want to use a breakaway cable with an un-braked trailer.

Personally I wouldn’t put it over the towball. On an unbraked trailer, the chains are designed to keep the trailer attached to the vehicle in the event of a towball/hitch failure, If the hitch fails you can’t rely on the chain not bouncing off the towball if it’s just looped over. Likewise if the towball becomes detached from the vehicle. A “breakaway” cable is just that, it’s designed for braked trailers. If the hitch fails on a braked trailer the breakaway cable activates the trailer brakes & then snaps, hopefully leaving the trailer stationary. You don’t want to use a breakaway cable with an un-braked trailer.
My mistake, I shouldn’t have called it a breakaway loop, i was referring to the galvanised steel rope loops that are not meant to snap that you see on unbraked trailers.

Back