Towing capability / advice 102bhp

Hi all.

So I’ve finally got round to buying a transporter T28 102bhp, the only concern I have is that it will not have enough grunt for towing my caravan (weight 1.3t). Has anyone remapped theirs to improve and how did it work, did it damage the engine/gearbox in any way, or have towing experiences with this model standard? Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated I’m totally new to the vw transporter world.

I have the same van as standard and tow my caravan with no problems, my old T5 was mapped to 140bhp and was no better than the standard T6 is.

There are many people who buy a van and want it to be a sports saloon remap it etc then moan the clutch is carp and tyres only last 8 000 miles. It’s a van that will pull a heavy trailer and carry a load at the same time.

There are many people who buy a van and want it to be a sports saloon remap it etc then moan the clutch is carp and tyres only last 8 000 miles. It’s a van that will pull a heavy trailer and carry a load at the same time.
I’m not looking for it to be a sport saloon just want it to tow with ease without struggling I’m really comparing it to my Kia Sportage it’s a 135bhp 2.0l and even that pulls back a bit so just concerned the 102bhp won’t be up to it!

I think you have a right to be concerend tbf. In my empty 102 a recent trip over the pennines had me dropping to 2nd gear for some of the climbs. :eek:
Dread to think what it would have been like pulling an extra 1.3T.
Flat road, no worries, but hills, sloooow!

I’ve just ordered a 204 dsg Sportline but in the end it’s a non aerodynamic box so won’t be ragging it around the streets!
A 85bhp will be fine towing a caravan as the diesels are made for torque towing.

I’m not looking for it to be a sport saloon just want it to tow with ease without struggling I’m really comparing it to my Kia Sportage it’s a 135bhp 2.0l and even that pulls back a bit so just concerned the 102bhp won’t be up to it!
What was the kerb weight of your Sportage? Ignoring the bhp, you’ll appreciate the extra kerb weight of the van!

It will be fine towing it. A van with more grunt will just make it a bit easier - going up steep hills for example would be more effortless.

We also have 102 T6 and tow a 1200kg caravan. It's no rocket ship but will cruise comfortably at 60 on motorways, unless it's steep gradient, and on A roads can usually keep pace with normal traffic. You have to change down for steep hills but rarely any lower than 3rd. I'd try it first before spending alot of money making it more powerful.

Get a pendle remap (£400ish). Got my 84ps done recently and its a different animal. I found hills depressing in standard form and now theyre done in 5th. Theres a video on youtube where martin at pendle explains the remap and peoples concerns and it puts ur mind at rest, he knows his stuff

I’ve looked at those, so what I’ve decided to do is wait for the warranty to expire, then get the remap so it doesn’t make it void.

Reactions: JOG
Even the lower power vans are designed to tow. They'll still trundle along with a big trailer or caravan behind without holding up the lorries. Granted, they might need lower gears and higher revs in certain situations, but for the driver, that just means a bit more foot and hand movement. It's not like he's having to get out and push.

Back