Towbar electrics

slybacon67

T6 Pro
Hi. I would like to put a towbar on my T6 and will only be fitting a bike rack so it’s extremely unlikely I will actually tow anything. Should I go for universal wiring loom or dedicated loom with trailer prep. If I fit trailer prep with coding will it effect the van unnecessary when bike rack is plugged in.

Hi. I would like to put a towbar on my T6 and will only be fitting a bike rack so it’s extremely unlikely I will actually tow anything. Should I go for universal wiring loom or dedicated loom with trailer prep. If I fit trailer prep with coding will it effect the van unnecessary when bike rack is plugged in.
The factory fit and coded set up turns off the parking sensors when the socket is connected to the light board plug. Not sure what else it effects, as that is the only thing I notice when using the trailer.

I suspect an OEM towbar w/ trailer prep would make your van easier to move on when the time comes.

Personally I’d go for the proper electrics to avoid possible issues and future proof. Not sure about the T6 but on other cars (inc VW) the proper module will disable reversing sensors and adjusts things like ESP (stability control), electric damping and steering etc.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I want to fit a Tow Trust (TVW9VK) to my T6 camper so i can fit and carry some cycles. I wont ever use it for towing so can i just fit the towbar without the wiring electrics or will it throw up issues with the van?

Can anyone advise: with dedicated electrics fitted, that disable the parking sensors, is the reversing camera also disabled when connected. I’d rather still see the view without sensors so wondered if a dedicated loom would prevent this? I note that pressing the P button turns them both off, and/or when in reverse gear there is an option to turn off the sound from the sensors on screen.

I don't think mine (MY21 T6.1 OE 13pin tow bar) does as it's still useful to monitor what the trailer is doing.

EDIT

Just been out and checked for you and it stays on. I don't have a trailer connected currently but I do have my 12 EHU system that emulated a trailer so I can charge the battery.

If you look at the screen you can see the camera is on but the schematic of the sensors show they are off and a trailer connected.

20240318_195046-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bav
Back