Tow bar wiring harness - light and siren?

piper1

VCDS User
VIP Member
I’ve just had a tow bar and dedicated wiring harness fitted to a 2017 kombi van.
Can anyone tell me please if there is a light on the dashboard or an audible signal indicating that a trailer/caravan is connected.
I thought maybe an indicator light might of been visible when in use?

No there isn’t. If you have an indicator out on the trailer then the tell tale light on the dash will flash at double speed.

No there isn’t. If you have an indicator out on the trailer then the tell tale light on the dash will flash at double speed.
thank you for the reply, i thought it was now a legal requirement to have either a light or audible indicator fitted to newer vehicles

With dedicated wiring and coding, the van will monitor the trailer lights as well. You don't need to know when they are working, but are informed if they aren't.

I don’t think so, you have a indicator that shows if any of the lights are not working on the trailer. Either the indicator tell tale with hyperflash in the case of the indicators failing or you’ll get a bulb out warning on the dash if any other light fails.

With dedicated wiring and coding, the van will monitor the trailer lights as well. You don't need to know when they are working, but are informed if they aren't.
Ah! I always wondered how the legal requirement was satisfied

Back