Tow Bar Wiring Earth Point

ltarrant

Fitted a Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar earlier in the week. Just picked up the 13pin wiring kit from VW to fit over weekend.

Kit supplied has the code 7F0 055 204 B.

Just looking through instructions and it only seems to show a flat bed and mentions single or double cab. It's also shows connecting some of the wiring to an earth point on the underside of the vehicle (bit marked 3 on image). The wire for this is only 40cm long from the socket at the tow bar.

I may be wrong but when I was under the van fitting the tow bar I don't remember seeing an earth point underneath and wires not long enough to bring into van to connect to earth point in back.

Worried I might have been supplied wrong kit but thought I would double check here before so I don't make a fool of myself going back to VW.

20210129_144006.jpg

There is an earth point behind the rear lights and left rear cross member.
See attached.

Attachments

• earthpoints.pdf
    765.8 KB · Views: 30
That's reassuring. Not convinced the wires long enough to be routed to the rear lights but 68 Earth point, on left of rear cross member looks good. Don't remember seeing it but with the miserable weather lately it was quite dark under there.

Thanks.

Well I'm under van with spare wheel tray removed and I am struggling to see earth point 68 on the rear cross member.

I already fitted rear tow bar a few days ago and have refitted bumper which was a right pig to get off. Now worried it must be on the cross member facing out where bumper refitted has covered. However, I don't want to take the bumper off only to find it's not there.

Has anyone actually used it and can direct me to it? I can't see anything on the side facing under van.

Tried calling the local VW dealer who supplied the kit. They promised to get back to me but no news yet. All the other wiring kits I looked at show earth connecting under passenger seat.

Only thing I can see to attach anything to within reach of the cable length from tow bar is the bolt hole for one of the bolts that holds the spare wheel tray up (see image). However, I've only ever seen male lugs for earth's and it doesn't seem a good idea to have a plastic tray pressing the earth wire ring onto the body.

20210201_163058.jpg

Looking around online I am not convinced earth point 68 exists on the normal t6. The text mentions platform/double cab and image shows conduit/wiring running to rear cross member where presumably rear lights are fitted for flatbed variant.

I would welcome someone proving my wrong.

I wondering if VW have supplied the wrong kit. Instructions only show and mention flatbed variant of T6. All other instructions I've looked at for other wiring kits show both normal van and flatbed. They also also show earth connecting inside at front of van.

@Pauly not sure if you can advise about this.

Kit supplied was 7F0 055 204 B.

Screenshot_20210201-232804_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-232743_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
I know this won't help you but I have a genuine westfalia wiring kit and it earth's under the passenger seat.

Back