Tow Bar Related Error Codes

ltarrant

Hi,

Recently fitted tow bar electrics to my 2018 T6 Kombi. Genuine VW kit and coded myself using ODBEleven.

Electrics seem to work fine and no issues I could see until now.

I am generally lazy and leave the lights swtiched on as they turn off when I switch ignition off. For the first time I actually tried to swith them off today and had a bulb out light come up on dash. Looked round van and couldn't identify any bulb out.

So plugged in ODBEleven and did a scan with the faults in images attached were found.

Guess this is tow bar electrics fitting related as one of the faults in the tow bar module.

I didn't actually touch the light switch wiring as my van has the BCM high. So I skipped that and just insulated off the wires as suggested in instructions.

Any advice appreciated.

Screenshot_20210320-133726_OBDeleven.jpg

Screenshot_20210320-133701_OBDeleven.jpg

Ok. Complete Muppet. The left DRL bulb is out.

Although the Trailer Module 02025 error remains?

I didn't connect up the charging cable as I am only putting a bike carrier on the back. Could the error be linked to that? The error count shows 2 which would correlate with the number of times I've actually connected anything to the tow bar / electrics.

Everything seems to work fine so I guess I can just ignore it. But would prefer to resolve.

Ok. Complete Muppet. The left DRL bulb is out.

Although the Trailer Module 02025 error remains?

I didn't connect up the charging cable as I am only putting a bike carrier on the back. Could the error be linked to that? The error count shows 2 which would correlate with the number of times I've actually connected anything to the tow bar / electrics.

Everything seems to work fine so I guess I can just ignore it. But would prefer to resolve.
What bulbs are in the bike carrier

Just normal bulbs no LEDs.

I think it's connected to charging cable. The genuine VW kit comes wires for the charging line which leaves you with a connector under the seat in the van. But the kit doesn't come with anything to connect it up. As I'm only fitting a cycle carrier and not anything that needs it I just left it like that. But possibly to needs coding out to avoid the error.

I might be wrong. But as everything else seems to work fine it's the only thing I can think of.

Nope cause mines fine and just flopping about under the seat at the moment, that part is hard wired and does not go though anything, it’s cheaper to make your own loom for that

Did you code yours yourself?

I only have a ODBELEVEN and just addded the 69 trailer module. Didn't touch any of default coding for it. Wondered weather that makes a difference. Possibly yours is coded to allow for that not being connected and mine isn't.

I coded myself using vcds don’t bother with all the other readers they are crap in my opinion, this does not need coding for the auxiliary power, you don’t just turn on module 69 either

Depending what you have fitted to the van as in parking sensors, it’s all in the instructions that came with the wiring kit, there is a post on here somewhere that runs through it as can’t remember off top of my head, did you wire the main fuse box connection up I think it’s a black blue or a blue black wire from memory

Yes everything was wired up fine as per instructions. All seems to work fine as well.

The instructions just say about adding the 69 trailer function. 'Then continue coding according to the menu'. Obviously with only ODB Eleven there was no further menus. I'm sure I could set any options that would have beeem set with long coding if I knew what they were. I'd love to have VCDS but in all honesty I won't be messing once this issue is sorted. Only got OBDEleven to clear error codes from when I had everything out insulating and carpeting.

Anyhow. With sidelight bulb changed my dash bulb light has gone. The tow bar error has been cleared. But interesting to see if it does rear it head again when I next use electrics.

Back