To Pop Or Not....

HI All

Im starting a T6 (2017) conversion from a commercial van to a camper.

I already have a 4 berth pop top and rock and roll bed and this conversion is just a project to then sell- not keep!

im wondering if its worth putting a pop top on it or just keeping it as a 2 berth with a rock and roll bed? the van will have a gas hob, sink, fridge in it so could be a day van/ camper but looking around i only really see pop tops as campers, not just a rock and roll bed.

what are your thoughts- would it be harder to sell / weird if it only had a rock and roll bed?
Umm ...Pop tops are great for giving head hight in a van and have many good points...but like vans they are very personal to each individual....me ..I’ve a day van with a pod and awning rail...how we see it is we have an awning tent and a sun canopy and decide Which to use prior to packing the van..so could cook under the tailgate or awning, but a the same time loads of space....
For 2 adults ( + Young children) a pop roof is quick and easy to use...but once you’re family grows space is always a premium
Its that old classic conundrum....spent 2-8k to convert to a good top and a heater (as tops aren’t that insulated) or not :)

Its personal, go look at one with a pop roof. For me it transformed my van, just makes the space inside more useable and comfortable place to be, instead of doing things on your knees you can do it standing! Great for me with knackered knees , plus kids love sleeping up top , I'd do it in a heartbeat when I come to do my new t6 soon

Thanks All, I have looked into pop tops and is now looking like I will fit one. I will get the bed shelf also as for a day trip i personally dont use it but for camping the extra space does make it nicer to be in.

not for extra sleeping space but for headroom and a general feeling of space.

I’d echo this, most of the time it’s just going to be me and the dog in the van but I wouldn’t want to be without one.
When I was looking for a van I discounted any without one.

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please accept my apologies for asking what may be the bleeding obvious!

We bought our T6 last year and spent loads of time deciding what we needed it to do. We ended up with a weekender, full width R&R bed, (loads of room!) fridge and heater.

Very happy with it, then 2 weeks ago, we decided to add to the overall experience and bought 2x E Mountain bikes. These fit quite comfortably in the back of the van, with the front wheels removed. Our issue now is, how do we go away for the weekend, without leaving several Ks worth of bikes on a rack? (heard all sorts of horror stories about thieves using freeze spray and disk cutters to snap locks/ remove bike racks)

Our plan is to bite the bullet and reluctantly fit a reimo pop top, that way we can sleep up top and have the bikes secure in the van.

Is this the best way to go, or will it be a tight squeeze/uncomfortable up there - hence making us regret spending a load of cash, after we decided against fitting a pop top in the first place?

Anyone done a silimilar thing?

Depends what size you are. Our pop top (SWB West Dubs) is , I believe, 'average size' - I'm 6'1 and my Mrs is a lot shorter and neither of us are particularly overweight but I don't think there's enough room up there for a comfortable nights sleep. It would suit 2 kids or 2 adults of smaller stature but.......... That's my opinion anyway.

Thanks Ayjay - Im 6ft missus is 5ft 2. both average size. (not massive but not skinny either!) Dont want to have a pop top fitted and then find its too tight to sleep comfortably in - hence the reimo. thought that may do the job.

I might be wrong but I suspect that size wise, they are all very similar whether it's a Reimo, West Dubs, Austops or whatever. Was I you, I'd go to a dealer / converter to see if you can get up in one before biting the bullet.

I'd imagine they're all a similar width, may vary slightly in length. How wide is your full width rock and roll bed?
You need to try one to see if it's wide enough.
If going Reimo though, think about the sprung Froli bed option, proper comfy.

If going Reimo though, think about the sprung Froli bed option, proper comfy.

That’s good to know as I’ve got one those in my roof.
Haven’t used it yet but reassuring to know that it’ll be nice and comfy if I do.

I have a fully converted van with a pop top. When travelling we’ve not always made it to a legitimate site either aire or campsite before needing to park up for the night.
This has required us to keep the roof down and try and be inconspicuous while cooking and settling down for the night.
There is no doubt in my mind that having a pop top and being able to stand up plays a big part in keeping us sane on long trips. Money well spent.

I got one instaled and partly regret it... but when parked up and on a site in the geatvits a blessing... in winter opposite when up...

It's a pain to take up and down, if it's a cold day. So it's not much use in winter And tent like material does not keep out cold winds.. I mean not end of the world thing or anything but is a pain in its own right I've seen the insulating sides and stuff but stuff that..... Also the use we get from the camper is shorter time then I thought when originally made it and installed byhe equipment. Would I sell it no. It's my daily running van anyhow .

Geat thing is for a weekend. It's great in warm weather counties..which I'll be doing shortly France , Spain. The low roof option IDs the best choice I ever made. Barriers and carparking no issues. Exception of one carpark whom a Has a height of 195 cm. Although I miss the roof racks somethimes but better off with out them.

We've just bought a lwb pv to convert and we need this to sleep 4, we have a 2yo daughter and possibly one on the way. The cost to have a decent pop top is well out of our budget so we have decided to go for roof nest condor xl as it will save us money and its not a permanent feature of the van and if we sell we can just remove and install on our new vehicle.

The condor xl is also a lot bigger than most if not all pop tops and when it's folded up it just looks like a roof box.

15-1030x824.jpg

If I had a LWB, a 2 year old and a baby the last thing I would be thinking about is a ladder access tent 2m above the ground.
There are plenty of cheap bed options for inside the van.

If I had a LWB, a 2 year old and a baby the last thing I would be thinking about is a ladder access tent 2m above the ground.
There are plenty of cheap bed options for inside the van.
Nah we'll leave the 2yo looking after the baby in the van an me and the Mrs will sleep up top :thumbsup:

Jokes aside we have seen the hammocks for the front seats and will probably go for that. The Mrs is happy to stay in the van with the kids while I take the tent up top. Then when the kids get older they can go anywhere.

I also forgot to mention we are having the rib altair 3 seater in back.

Here’s another perspective. I’m 5’2 and we have a pop top fitted to our Granvia. We have a VW van conversion on order with a pop top. We are also in Scotland and have had the rain come at us sideways without issues. I wouldn’t consider a van without a pop top. We are looking forward to having a decent upstairs bed so we dont have to make up the bed downstairs. The extra height makes van cooking so much easier and literally less of a headache. It gives great ventilation on warmer days and a good sense of space and light.

Back