To Pop Or Not....

aidy_r

Hallo,

I'm currently planning a T6 panel van to camper conversion and haven't been able to work out if I 'need' a Pop Top or not. I'm a short guy and don't envisage standing up in the van other than to cook and to change. I don't need the extra sleeping space as there are only two of us using the van.

Anyone else facing or faced the same dilemma? I'm concerned about the water ingress and rot in the Scottish weather. Going without one would also save a lot of money.

Hallo,

I'm currently planning a T6 panel van to camper conversion and haven't been able to work out if I 'need' a Pop Top or not. I'm a short guy and don't envisage standing up in the van other than to cook and to change. I don't need the extra sleeping space as there are only two of us using the van.

Anyone else facing or faced the same dilemma? I'm concerned about the water ingress and rot in the Scottish weather. Going without one would also save a lot of money.
Sounds like you’ve answered your own question Aidy

I'll try and find your post from earlier. What makes you feel that way about the pop top?
Click on the link (the blue words on my original post) and it’ll take you straight there. All will be explained there.

Have a look at vans with pop tops get a feel for the extra space they give and then pull the roof down and compare
Couldn’t do without ours but if you feel it’s not needed then use the saving on more conversion spec or van mods.

We went without, and don’t regret it at all.

T6 SWB camper build

Pete
Thanks Pete - fantastic thread to read. Your van requirements read like my own, even down to the bike carrier. I'm looking at a Kombi SWB as a donor/base van and will pay for a conversion company to do the build. I like the idea of a keeping the roof and side panel/door as VW intended, the thought of cutting worries me. I've been giving thought to buying a lefthand drive van from Germany as I'll be doing most of my trips on mainland Europe.

Thanks Pete - fantastic thread to read. Your van requirements read like my own, even down to the bike carrier. I'm looking at a Kombi SWB as a donor/base van and will pay for a conversion company to do the build. I like the idea of a keeping the roof and side panel/door as VW intended, the thought of cutting worries me. I've been giving thought to buying a lefthand drive van from Germany as I'll be doing most of my trips on mainland Europe.
I have a poptop fitted and am around 5foot 4 and the amount of times AV went away myself for some hill walking and never used it , there are freinds and family members that are tall so really a was thinking of them but honestly if you don't need the extra bed then a wouldn't bother lol

I had this dilemma and went without as most my camping is short stay stealth on my own. If I'm at a campsite then I can use an awning. I think I'd rather have a high top Sprinter size van than a pop top.

I have a poptop fitted and am around 5foot 4 and the amount of times AV went away myself for some hill walking and never used it , there are freinds and family members that are tall so really a was thinking of them but honestly if you don't need the extra bed then a wouldn't bother lol
I'm the same height, so that really helps hearing your account.

I had this dilemma and went without as most my camping is short stay stealth on my own. If I'm at a campsite then I can use an awning. I think I'd rather have a high top Sprinter size van than a pop top.
I had been thinking about that as an option as I drive a hi-top Transit for work, but I quite like the idea of a compact SWB Transporter.

A good mate of mine did his own camper conversion after reading so many inconsistent reports on pretty much every main converter, and he had the same dilemma as you. It's been over a year since he finished his Camper, and he's been away in it loads, including into Europe, all without a pop top and all perfectly sufficient. He now says if he did it all again, he still wouldn't fit a pop top, purely down to the price, and again inconsistency of reports on the quality of work carried out by some of the pop top installers.

It might be worth looking at a mid roof model, if you want to get away from the pop top and still have a bit more head room

I wouldn’t have the guts have my lovely metal roof cut out to fit a GRP and canvas affair. Get an awning to cook under (then all your stuff won’t smell like a cafe) and if you need more sleeping space get a roof tent. You can take it off over winter and if you change your mind you can sell it on. The roof box ones look really good.

I had the same dilemma going down the road of bed from Wessex van and drive away awning her all the horror stories of leaking roofs

A roof is a personal choice, and for some a requirement due to family needs. They are great if fitted correctly and of a good quality and will last for years. Of course there will be problems, every product imaginable will have an issue at some stage but dont let that put you off. Try one out, down and up and you will get a feel for it. They really open up the van when using it, even not sleeping up there you still have more space. Just simple things like putting a t shirt on with arms up, really helps. They do cost, so only you can determine if it is for you. Retro fitting one is a tricky business however so bear that in mind.... I've lost cout of the amount of roofs we have fitted a after people have had a conversion and then decided they needed one. Good luck
Ian
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back