To Pop Or Not....

Like Tartan Tsixer my wife and I are not the tallest of people but the pop top makes life so much easier when moving around in the van for getting changed and just to be able to stand up to make a cup of coffee

another plus point you can get a projector and a rollup screen and put the screen in the top and sit on the back seat and you have instant drive in moves

It is a personal choice, however we have one fitted and makes big difference to the feel inside when roof is up. Head room is worth it and sleeping a bonus as you can leave everything as is below ready for the morning.

I can't envisage using the van without the pop-top! I'm 6'2" and my wife 5'10" and the thought of the pair of us trying to move around in the wagon, crouched over, is unthinkable. The pop-top was a no-brainer for us, as indeed was getting a LWB van. This said, a pal who is perhaps 5'8" has just had his SWB van converted and essentially has an L shaped layout with a seat / bench which is also his bed running down the drivers side, and a cupboard / worktop at the back. He only uses the van on his own, and says it's absolutely fine and he has no trouble moving around and didn't see any need to put a p/top on.

Perhaps so! I've never owned a camper and wondered why there are so many with pop tops, is it purely a space thing or are they genuinely required to have a comfortable van?
Tried it without. Much more comfortable with. No problems with water ingress. Cost is unavoidable.

I just spent 5 nights on a site in the Lakes without once raising the pop top. The first night was because it was a bit stormy, but after that we thought that we didn’t really need to raise it as we sleep “downstairs” on a full width bed anyway and had the awning for cooking etc. This also had the benefit of keeping the heat in from the small radiator we use.
I have used it in the past, even when on my own, and I appreciate being able to stand up or for one of my boys to sleep in, so I’ve no regrets getting it fitted.

When I was getting my van converted my friend with a T5 non pop top told me to get one no matter what the cost, hunching over all the time and sitting on a stool to cook/wash is a pain she said

Perhaps so! I've never owned a camper and wondered why there are so many with pop tops, is it purely a space thing or are they genuinely required to have a comfortable van?

There are 4 of us, we sleep 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs, in addition, in Catalonia in summer it is hot, so we can ventilate the van more, and it allows us to stand inside, for us, they are all advantages

Another advantage of a pop top with the zip-out panoramic canvas is that you have a mobile grandstand from which to observe Saturday morning football in comfort. I take my lad to far flung places to watch him play (last weekend accompanied by wife and daughter who was home from Uni) and had a great (and comfortable) view. Pop and unzip the top, side the seat forward, stick your bum on the headrest and enjoy the game whilst tucking in to coffee/tea/biscuits/bacon sarnies - and no need to get your shoes/boots muddy and cold! Take your shoes off before you climb up on the leather though.... and point out to your daughter that you are rather visible up there and it's probably best not to berate the other team or the ref... it's just not polite!!:oops:

Even better, every time I do this I am approached by slightly bemused California owners who say 'I didn't know they did that. I've never seen that in my owners handbook.... ' A fortnight ago, three (yes three!) came up and had the same conversation within 90 minutes! It's hard not to feel smug....:grin bounce:

FF9D33A1-A03B-4BDC-BDEB-5A35DEAE1854.jpeg

46833B24-F385-455B-8F0B-23AB00C7683D.jpeg

Back