To buy or not to buy? Crankshaft seal leak

JohnH85

Hi All,

Just joined today, so go easy if I misuse the forum initially.

I am in the process of buying a 2020 T6 Kombi Sportline. It’s covered 27k miles, sailed through the MOT last month but, after a multi point check, discovered a leak from the crank shaft seal.

This is my first Transporter. I’m naive to the issues. Is this something that I should be concerned about? could it be a sign of deeper issues/misuse previously? Or just bad luck and I can relax once it’s replaced.

Thanks in advance!

To be honest most of transporters crankseal fails ,I had mine replaced 3 times under warranty

It's a fairly(ish) common problem, but I wouldn't expect to see it at such low mileage TBH. VW will charge around £800 to change it (that's what they quoted me). If you're buying from a dealer, it would be part of the deal that it was replaced before purchase. It isn't generally an indication of any underlying fault.

PS Welcome to the forum

Here's some usedful imformation from the Search.

Very common problem. If you are replacing, you will end up replacing the cambelt and water pump at the same job.

It's a fairly(ish) common problem, but I wouldn't expect to see it at such low mileage TBH. VW will charge around £800 to change it (that's what they quoted me). If you're buying from a dealer, it would be part of the deal that it was replaced before purchase. It isn't generally an indication of any underlying fault.

PS Welcome to the forum
What he said... .

Amazing! Thank you everyone for the responses! I’ll let you know if/when I end up owning the thing and how the work goes!

You’ve put my mind at rest!!

Back