Tips For Visiting Geneva...

Elvis Romerez

Hi All,

I am going camping for the first time on the east coast of France, I planned on visiting Geneva for a day trip, has anyone done this? I'm about an 90km north according to google, but is it easy to drive into the city or would I better driving to a place close by and catching the train / bus?

Or, are there places north of Geneva that would be better to go too? Any tips or advice greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Elvis

There's usually spaces available along the south of the lake to park up...but as always in big cities public transport, especially Swiss, is pretty good. I always found the east coast of France a bit dry too, surf was really bad. ;>

Be aware that you need an annual vignette costing about £35 if you use Swiss motorways. It's possible to avoid these but needs careful planning. I've travelled from south of Geneva to the airport without problems.

Last edited:
Yes the Swiss situation seems very vague, it's Austria that sounds the most severe.

Thanks for all the tips, I ended up going to Nyon, about 30 mins north of Geneva. A really nice place, no hassle driving into the centre of the town, and some amazing views of the town and lake. First trip overseas in the T6 and I loved it, driving in France and Switzerland is so much better than in the U.K.

Cheers

Wow I knew nothing about this and googling reveals a potential £10k fine for using one in Austria! I’ve spent several weeks in Austria in the last couple of years and had a dash cam on the screen all the time :eek: I’m there next month as well so I guess I’d better remove it while I’m in the country

Just drove in Austria with my Blackvue in full view of Austria border security in and out of Slovenia several times...not a mention of it and it's slap back in the middle, under my rear view mirror. If challenged I'd plead that it's legal in UK.

Just drove in Austria with my Blackvue in full view of Austria border security in and out of Slovenia several times...not a mention of it and it's slap back in the middle, under my rear view mirror. If challenged I'd plead that it's legal in UK.
Thats where mine is, and also heading to Slovenia. Surely they would tell you to remove it first anyway. Don't know if I want to be the test case though ...

Thats where mine is, and also heading to Slovenia. Surely they would tell you to remove it first anyway. Don't know if I want to be the test case though ...

I guess so.

Enjoy the trip...don't forget your vignette's...

Wow I knew nothing about this and googling reveals a potential £10k fine for using one in Austria! I’ve spent several weeks in Austria in the last couple of years and had a dash cam on the screen all the time :eek: I’m there next month as well so I guess I’d better remove it while I’m in the country

We've done loads of Europe in our MH over the past 3 years, going around 6 times a year, but always end up in Switzerland. This year my wife and I agreed would be the last for a while in Switzerland for one reason or another.
I've heard a lot of good things about Austria, but never actually been there, so thinking about trying it next year.
Any site recommendations? We normally look for 5 star well reviewed sites for main stays, but happy to look at any places if you have any favourites you'd recommend.

We've done loads of Europe in our MH over the past 3 years, going around 6 times a year, but always end up in Switzerland. This year my wife and I agreed would be the last for a while in Switzerland for one reason or another.
I've heard a lot of good things about Austria, but never actually been there, so thinking about trying it next year.
Any site recommendations? We normally look for 5 star well reviewed sites for main stays, but happy to look at any places if you have any favourites you'd recommend.
I don't really have any recommenations I'm afraid, I've usually been passing through Austria in order to get to/from Hungary/Slovenia/Germany and have only stopped in Austria when I'm exhausted and can't drive any further. The sites I've ended up staying in were just the nearest and were nothing to write home about. The one exception I would recommend if you want to have a look round Vienna, is the site at Perfektastraße. Very clean, secure and quiet, friendly staff and a 1 minute walk to the subway to zip you into the city centre in minutes. Lovely city.

Austria is a beautiful country though and one day I'd like to spend time there instead of just passing through. Austrians are nice people too, always find that on campsites all over Europe. Feel similar about Netherlands too.

I don't really have any recommenations I'm afraid, I've usually been passing through Austria in order to get to/from Hungary/Slovenia/Germany and have only stopped in Austria when I'm exhausted and can't drive any further. The sites I've ended up staying in were just the nearest and were nothing to write home about. The one exception I would recommend if you want to have a look round Vienna, is the site at Perfektastraße. Very clean, secure and quiet, friendly staff and a 1 minute walk to the subway to zip you into the city centre in minutes. Lovely city.

Austria is a beautiful country though and one day I'd like to spend time there instead of just passing through. Austrians are nice people too, always find that on campsites all over Europe. Feel similar about Netherlands too.

Thanks Andy, I will look at Perfektastraße, because Vienna is a location we want to visit.
We tend to find nice sites that we'd stay for 4-5 days, then move on, so it's always worth asking because there's a difference between a place you'd stay for a night, and a place you'd stay for a week in my experience.

@Tourershine we stayed in a very nice site called Hells ferein in the zillertal vally near mayerhofen .

The Austrians seem to be worse than the swiss ,I wanted to take a drone with me to Austria ,so I contacted austro air and they said if I filmed or took photos I needed a permit €350 a year .
Swiss were far better only a few restrictions.

Back