Northern Spain/Galicia campsites

Nige_g

Retired
T6 Guru
Rather than driving down through France to our house in Spain as we have done for many years, we are getting the ferry to Santander in June and have decided to explore parts of Spain we haven’t visited before. We intend driving along the Northern coast into Galicia then making our way down through Spain to Cordoba before heading to our destination just north of Murcia. We have no real plan in mind, other than heading West from Santander initially. Perhaps a site close by Santander for at least the first night. Any recommendations of decent sites in that area of Spain (don’t need any recommendations for the East coast as we won’t be going that way, except on the way back but that will just be a route to head back through France and into Belgium. We will be stopping for a minimum of 2 nights in each one.

Cheers

Last edited:
We stayed here after disembarking at Santander. Pretty close - has multiple types of accommodation plus a swimming pool and restaurant. You can easily walk to the fantastic beach nearby.

Pete

Love the way you can get across to mainland europe in your van and then off to other countries, that is something we can't do in Australia.

Love the way you can get across to mainland europe in your van and then off to other countries, that is something we can't do in Australia.
Yes, it is an advantage Just a shame we are not part of one big family anymore!

Depennding on time, as well as Spain, we may well do some of Germany as well as France and Belgium (well Bruges anyway) and then just tip into Holland for the ferry home. But that is also subject to change as we haven’t booked our return trip yet as we play it by ear.

We are the islanders of Europe...............you're just on a bigger island!!!

We stayed here after disembarking at Santander. Pretty close - has multiple types of accommodation plus a swimming pool and restaurant. You can easily walk to the fantastic beach nearby.

Pete
I was going to recommend the exact same destination and sites. There is another just 500m south east equally fine where we stayed. Also walking distance to beach. The two big bays reminded me of Croyde North Devon as a surfer.

Pete

I was going to recommend the exact same destination and sites. There is another just 500m south east equally fine where we stayed. Also walking distance to beach. The two big bays reminded me of Croyde North Devon as a surfer.
Well that’s the first 2 nights booked. Thanks.

This was the one I stayed at slightly further away from the beach

I did look at that one too.

Now just looking for others. One will be in Salamanca which looks quite good.

We are heading out at the end of this week and I will do the drive down to Murcia from Santander in 1 hit but coming back we have a midday sailing so intend to drive and stop a couple of hours our from the port for a night. Anyone got any recommendations?

Hi. All. Realise this is an old post but wondered if there are any more tips of sites and especially any advice on the ferry part as we are thinking of doing it this year and wondered if it is a good idea. Thanks All

We stayed at a great campsite in Orio last year, Orio Kanpina, which is handy for the ferry to/from Bilbao. There’s a nice beach walking distance from the site, beach side restaurants and the site is very popular with the Spanish holiday makers. You can also walk into town but most restaurants in town don’t open till 9.00 pm, but had a great buzz to it. From Orio you can get the train into San Sebastien which is worth a visit. I much preferred Orio to the campsite in San Sebastien which is up a hill so you need to drive into town or take the curtesy bus.

I would agree with @jimc91 about Orio Kanpina - it's a great site in a fantastic location but it gets very busy (particularly at weekends) if our experience last year is anything to go by. We arrived there without a booking on Thursday, 8 June at about 1530 hoping to stay for the weekend but all they could offer was the one night after which they were fully booked until the following Monday. I was in the queue behind a couple of motorhomes but as we finished our booking process there were quite a few others arriving and unless they had pre-booked, I suspect some of them may well have been disappointed.
For what it's worth, we were on our way over to the coast near Alicante and weekended at Camping Monte Holiday about 90 Km past Madrid on the route, We only stopped there because it was convenient but it turned out to be good. The on-site restaurant did good grub and there's a nice small town about 45 minutes walk along a track with a little store and a couple of eateries. I'm a casual birder so was also pleased to spend a bit of time with my binoculars watching the storks nesting in the church spire.

We stayed here near a small town called Cudillero for two days following sailing on the Plymouth-Santander ferry. It's a very pretty former fishing port with some nice places to eat and drink.

The campsite looks like it may have changed hands since we stayed but it was a good option for us to relax/sample the local cider before heading off to explore Portugal.

Takes about 40 mins to walk to the town and there is a nice beach about twenty mins walk away but be warned it's down a very steep, winding road so was much easier to go in the van. It was very busy though but the municipal parking attendants seemed to be well versed in organising the chaos!

I stayed here one night on the way to Santander in mid Feb’. Quiet farming village with cafe / bar, friendly locals.
Almost a brand new free aire. Mountain walks from the village.

IMG_3241.jpeg

Best campsite I’ve been to in Northern Spain is in Prada de Sil. It is really spectacular. I was there few years back with the old sportline, on that trip we did over 4000 miles of travelling across Europe with the Mrs KNAUS

IMG_3252.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

Back