Thule Omnistor 5102 On A T6

Gordon McPhail

This is my first post and cry for help so be gentle :)
I have a 17 plate T6 and i have bought the above awning that came with the brackets of course and they are the right ones as far as i can see.

But i dont have a rail on my roof although there is a chanel for one that the barkets bolt onto

I have called umpteen people including a VW garage and no one seems to know what i am talking about

Help really appreciated

I believe there’s a adapter that bolts in that channel then you bolt the brackets to that, Thule is a fantastic brand by far much nicer then Fiamma, so good choice

This is the same unit as the factory awning supplied on the California but that has custom brackets that fit under the pop roof.
There are various track system for the transporter so it maybe you could find a marketing shot of the awning in place and see if anyone recognises the rail?

Doesn't the standard Cali awning brackets bolt to the roof channel and onto the Cali awning rail @Loz ? Also needs to be a SWB.
I had to faff about with a Reimo rail and adapter brackets due to the SCA / LWB combination

Doesn't the standard Cali awning brackets bolt to the roof channel and onto the Cali awning rail @Loz ? Also needs to be a SWB.
I had to faff about with a Reimo rail and adapter brackets due to the SCA / LWB combination
yes and no, its in the side rails but also on the inner raised part of the pop roof.. hang on, I'll pop out and take a quick photo..

IMG_0782.jpg IMG_0783.jpg

Last edited:
Ah......Hence the need for a water channel adapter plate..

Just seen your post and I already have the Omnistore fitted (it was fitted by the place I brought it from) but was looking at their sealing rubber to solve the issue of the drip of water coming inbetween the van and the awning. Is this what you called rthe water channel adapter plate ?

Cheers

Just seen your post and I already have the Omnistore fitted (it was fitted by the place I brought it from) but was looking at their sealing rubber to solve the issue of the drip of water coming inbetween the van and the awning. Is this what you called rthe water channel adapter plate ?

Cheers
The California has a rain(weather) strip that clips into the side(gutter) rail before the awning is attached.
upload_2019-8-8_10-47-51.png

This is my first post and cry for help so be gentle :)
I have a 17 plate T6 and i have bought the above awning that came with the brackets of course and they are the right ones as far as i can see.

But i dont have a rail on my roof although there is a chanel for one that the barkets bolt onto

I have called umpteen people including a VW garage and no one seems to know what i am talking about

Help really appreciated

I believe the part you refer to is the multivan roof rail prep kit, these are approx. £120 each form VW.:eek:

You could just place spacers in the channel, fit riv nuts and bolt down for a lot less money. If you are local to Somerset you could pop in and we could do this for you.

Good luck,

Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

rail.jpg

The California has a rain(weather) strip that clips into the side(gutter) rail before the awning is attached.
View attachment 48661

Thanks for the update Loz, looks like it will be a DIY job for myself. The fitting kit does look the same as yours, its just missing that rain strip.

I must say I love the canopy and have just come back from using it for a couple of weeks in the very hot and two massive thunder and lighning storms and it has perfrommed really well (I did need to ensure there was a slope on the roof to allow the torrent of water to run off it), so I would recommend the Thule Omninstor to anyone from my experince. I have a pop roof and the fitting kit from Thule works really well (should do as it is made for it) the only thing to consider is that the awning is mounted extremely close to the top of the sliding door (misses by a couple of mm). Being so close means taht it works really well, does not sit high above teh van, so road noise is kept to a minimum, but does mean if you put a drive away awning on it, you have to be carefull when opening the side door (it does work, but if the tunnel is not tight, which is easily done when you have to drive back and park in the same spot, you have to be careful)

I believe the part you refer to is the multivan roof rail prep kit, these are approx. £120 each form VW.:eek:

You could just place spacers in the channel, fit riv nuts and bolt down for a lot less money. If you are local to Somerset you could pop in and we could do this for you.

Good luck,

Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 48662
I have a roof rail prep kit for sale with bolts etc for a LWB if anyone’s interested?

Hi, I’ve also been looking at the Thule canopy... can anyone help regarding fitting? I’ve a standard panel van with no pop top, is it possible to take the canopy on and off as and when I need it? The brackets look as though they’re glued with some kind of adhesive as well as bolted to the roof of the van.

Back