Thule Omnistor 4900 vs Omnistor 5102

ismunday

Hi all, my first post so "hi" :)

After renting a California last summer, I now have a T6 Transporter being converted complete with a pop-top roof. I've narrowed down my awning choice to either the Thule Omnistor 4900 or Omnistor 5102, but am not sure of the difference. I've heard it might just be a couple of the components of the more expensive 5102 are made from aluminium rather than plastics, but other than that both will fit.

Can any one advised as to a clear difference between them please?

Thanks in advance
– Ian

Interestingly, I've received the following advice from Thule directly, but can't believe this is quite right:

The 5102 awning + its adapter is only compatible with the vehicles with the C-rail of VW on the roof, as the adapter is fixed in this C-rail.

The 4900 awning + its adapter is for vehicles without rail > the adapter is glued and screwed at the edge of teh roof.
However , this adapter is not compatible with vehicles with a pop-up roof.

We don't have adapters or awnings that fit a VW T5 / T6 with a pop-up roof, as our special awning for the VW California is sold exclusively by VW.

thule-omnistor-4600-vs-5102.png

A few more resources from Thule directly that I had struggled to find anywhere else. Hope someone else finds the useful. Personally I'm going to go for the Omnistor 4900.

– Ian

Attachments

• IF 20 EN Awnings Wall Mounted.pdf
    728.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 2020 4900.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 2020 5102.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 55
  • 3380028400 4AY900-02 Thule Omnistor 4900.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 3380015600 VW901-04 Thule Omnistor 5102 - VW5.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
Reactions: P20
Hi Ian @ismunday

The information you got says that the 4900 isn't compatible with a pop top roof. I was looking at the PDF's and the 4900+ T6 adapter says it is suitable. Just curious to know if your T6 has a pop top as mine does and I'm thinking of getting a Thule also. My girlfriend and I are looking at the one that can be made into a tent which I think is the 5200.

Hi Dave @Dave512

It was confusing; I suspect we almost over thought this! We converted our T6 Transporter and added a pop-up roof and the Thule Omnistor 4900; they are compatible with the correct fixing brackets.

Thanks,
– Ian

IMG_3289.jpeg

IMG_4617.jpeg

IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4620.jpeg

IMG_4622.jpeg

Thanks for the reply @ismunday I've been in contact with a supplier and got decent information. We are going with the 4900 with the VW T6 adapter and the Thule Residence G3 x-small. Will post a picture when it's done.
Thanks again

Hi I have the 5102, chosen because I wanted the awning as close and as low to the van as possible, I do have a SCA pop top, which covers the gutter for the bracket attaches to.

So I shortened the bracket, as per the 4900 drawing, powder coated it dark grey then fixed the bracket as per 4900, with rivinut and Sikaflex.

very pleased with the result.

Guys us there anyone who fitted thule 4900 to c-rails as i dont have pop up roof and don't want to drill holes in chasis.

yep, fits with the bandrup rail and no problems with the poptop. give hillview awnings a call, they were spot on

Back