Three piece ply floor

IndyT6

Hi - looking for a bit of help with my ply floor. It's a 3 piece, 12mm, going in a T6 LWB.

I've sound deadened the whole floor - and I'm starting to wish I hadn't, and perhaps I should've used batons instead. The floor needs some trimming - and after that I'm sure it'll lay flat (even if it means taking a hammer to batter flat some of the sound deadening!)

Couple of questions. With a 3 piece floor, and without batons - whats the usual approach to making sure the 3 pieces sit level with each other and stopping them shifting once the floor covering is on?

Also - I have a floor with the cutouts for lashing points. 85mm holes. Has anyone come up with an elegant solution to use them to fix the floor down without the fixings causing the middle of the floor to lift up? And if not - any ideas for blanking them in a way that easily removable for when the lashing points are used?

cheers - appreciate any help as always.

I saw a photo on the forum where a floor pieces had been dovetailed together effectively locking at one piece.
Some lay the ply on a Kombi rubber mat so the batons are not a must.

Interesting - sounds like a single piece floor might have been a better idea. (not that I found anyone that would deliver one! Thanks for your reply mate.

I fitted a 3 piece ply floor not so long ago. I trimmed it to size so it fit nicely and then joined the 3 bits together with a biscuit joiner with biscuits every 100mm. Also batons under the joints bonded to the floor.
you don’t mention what floor covering you will use but if it’s something like Altro and you have 3 loose pieces of ply then the joins will show through.

Just run duct tape over the ply joints before laying your covering either drill in a just few self tappers if the ply is really uneven on any the joints the floor wont move or a few dabs of tiger seal on top just to hold it on top of the insulation it wont need much its thick 12mm ply once you get all your stuff on top its going nowhere if your using vinyl it is stuck to the ply it will hold it all together. and don't worry about it D I Y ing makes you so over think stuff .... it will work what ever you and look great .... hole cutter some ply and also the anchor point in the floor to match just sit in the holes with velcro if need be cover with the discs to match ands plug the holes

Thanks Wano - that's exactly my concern. Haven't selected a floor - but if the 3 pieces aren't butting perfectly level to each other then there's going to be issues down the line (pardon the pun!) Biscuit joiner sounds like a perfect solution.

I've already laid dodo sound deadening on the metal - so I'm reluctant to put batons on top of that as I'd be gluing to the foil which isn't as stable as I'd like. Probably not a massive issue (it's not going anywhere) but not ideal to have batons squashing into the sound deadening. (although now I'm typing that I'm thinking it'll probably be fine! - probably easier / cheaper / faster than biscuit cutting all the ply.

Any idea what the normal size baton would be for 12mm ply and a deeper step? Might use batons which are 2mm thinner and move forward that way - and that would allow some insulation between baton and floor.

You're right muddigger! Duct tape is generally the answer - although I've just treated and epoxyd all the previous holes! Tape will definitely stop the join showing through a thick floor covering.

Just run duct tape over the ply joints before laying your covering either drill in a just few self tappers if the ply is really uneven on any the joints the floor wont move or a few dabs of tiger seal on top just to hold it on top of the insulation it wont need much its thick 12mm ply once you get all your stuff on top its going nowhere if your using vinyl it is stuck to the ply it will hold it all together. and don't worry about it D I Y ing makes you so over think stuff .... it will work what ever you and look great .... hole cutter some ply and also the anchor point in the floor to match just sit in the holes with velcro if need be cover with the discs to match ands plug the holes
All that hassle, easier just to buy a 1 piece in the first place. The you know its right.

batons are 9 mm @Skyliner33 i could't get a single piece floor either custom shop design didt even do them or make me one bespoke in lock down

Exactly!...too late now! I couldn't find anyone who would deliver a single piece floor for a LWB.
Maybe, but it would have been less hassle to collect. Anyway as mentioned the normal size for batons is 9mm although some use 12mm.

You’re right, the biscuits did take time. I’m not sure on the baton thickness for your project. I went the way of a kombi mat under my plywood because I had rails too so needed the height which made my batons thicker.
If you do use the batons and they correct thickness I don’t see a problem if they’re on top of the sound deadening at least you can use them to put some screws in so the boards can’t move and don’t flex on the joins as much.

Cheers @Sharpe - already have the floor. It's CNC...and agreed, no way it would be so neat with my jigsaw skills! As ever time is the issue, I could get the 3 piece delivered without taking the time out. I'll take a look at Eclipse, cheers

@Wano - agreed...none of it is going anywhere and once the floor is down I'm sure this will become history and I can work out the next puzzle. Quite liking the idea of batons on the sound deadening now - bound to be an improvement to noise / rumble levels.

One piece floor for a LWB is not one piece, typically
Yes correct due to wood size availability. Ther are 2 x small infills approx 250mm x 100mm but the main seating, walking and furniture area is one piece. Dont confuse this with the 3 piece floors available with large joins across the middle.
Cheers
Ian

I love it, so avoid 3 piece floors, and go for 1 piece floors, which are mostly 2 piece or 3 piece :slow rofl:

On a serious note I would be perfectly happy with a 3 piece floor if it has the CNC-cut jigsaw pattern to pull it together in three dimensions. Presumably the jigsaw is not just 2D cut but 3D, so fits with no give at all?

Last edited:
Back